sebright thread

Our bantam orp, Cookie, has a wide spread and is the professional broody of our flock. (She even hatched Trouble.) I laughed at little Trouble for trying to incubate some LF eggs. But since we don't rely on her eggs as a regular food source, I let her try. She was awesome & we kept all 3 of her giant orp chicks that she hatched. The 2nd time Trouble went broody was because she caught the broodiness bug from Cookie. I happened to have eggs in the incubator, so Trouble sat on golf balls until the incubator chicks hatched. I set up broody condos by placing a divider screen in the chicken tractor, because the hens kept attacking one another. Yet, the chicks could go to either side for playdates and the hens didn't mind. Eventually I removed the divider & the moms shared the care. As chicks were sold, the family got smaller, & the 2 hens and the last 4 chicks began all sleeping in the same nestbox. Of course the 1st night they did that I panicked because I couldn't see Trouble behind all the Orpington fluff. I had thought she was taken by a predator.

One busy nestbox

As you can see, Cookie has a nickname when broody....

Trouble's boy chick is now our big 10lb alpha roo. He's only 8.5 mo old & still growing.
(We had a lot of drama this week as he challenged & won this position from his biological dad. Both roos are OK.)

As you can probably tell, we don't watch very much TV with the whole soap opera going on in the backyard.

Our bantam orp, Cookie, has a wide spread and is the professional broody of our flock. (She even hatched Trouble.) I laughed at little Trouble for trying to incubate some LF eggs. But since we don't rely on her eggs as a regular food source, I let her try. She was awesome & we kept all 3 of her giant orp chicks that she hatched. The 2nd time Trouble went broody was because she caught the broodiness bug from Cookie. I happened to have eggs in the incubator, so Trouble sat on golf balls until the incubator chicks hatched. I set up broody condos by placing a divider screen in the chicken tractor, because the hens kept attacking one another. Yet, the chicks could go to either side for playdates and the hens didn't mind. Eventually I removed the divider & the moms shared the care. As chicks were sold, the family got smaller, & the 2 hens and the last 4 chicks began all sleeping in the same nestbox. Of course the 1st night they did that I panicked because I couldn't see Trouble behind all the Orpington fluff. I had thought she was taken by a predator.

One busy nestbox

As you can see, Cookie has a nickname when broody....

Trouble's boy chick is now our big 10lb alpha roo. He's only 8.5 mo old & still growing.
(We had a lot of drama this week as he challenged & won this position from his biological dad. Both roos are OK.)

As you can probably tell, we don't watch very much TV with the whole soap opera going on in the backyard.
good for him. he's handsome.

Back
Top Bottom