sebright thread

Today I witnessed another "Trouble" moment that sent me laughing. A spring lav orp pullet must have done something to upset Trouble (our sebright). I heard her angry squeaks coming from around the corner & then saw a giant 8lb orp flapping & waddle-running away in fear. Next I saw a tiny Sebright fly & land just in front of the orp. Trouble jumped up to look at the orp eye to eye & stared her down. Yep. Trouble's in charge & she won't let the big dumb girls forget it!

Today I witnessed another "Trouble" moment that sent me laughing. A spring lav orp pullet must have done something to upset Trouble (our sebright). I heard her angry squeaks coming from around the corner & then saw a giant 8lb orp flapping & waddle-running away in fear. Next I saw a tiny Sebright fly & land just in front of the orp. Trouble jumped up to look at the orp eye to eye & stared her down. Yep. Trouble's in charge & she won't let the big dumb girls forget it!
Haha....our little Sebright, Moonshine, gave a similar treatment to newly arrived Cochin cockerel Carl. The other girls were interested, and it looked like a successful integration until Mooshine realized he was amongst them! She turned into an absolute witch...all claws and wings, attacking over and over, relentlessly. She's half his size, but he was terrified of her and he's now in protective custody, where they can all see him and talk to him, waiting for the Little Princess to accept him....She gives him stinkeye thru the fence and he backs away. Sigh.

Question.. I have only one sebright & she's finishing up a molt. I live in NE Ohio and it's gotten down into the teens a few nights recently. So my question is Are sebright bantams cold hardy & if not, what temp is too low for them? Thanks.

Question.. I have only one sebright & she's finishing up a molt. I live in NE Ohio and it's gotten down into the teens a few nights recently. So my question is Are sebright bantams cold hardy & if not, what temp is too low for them? Thanks.
I only have one Sebright. She made it through 2 northern Midwest winters just fine. I was told that bantams do better here when in a heated coop, but I fear the fire risk and decided not to heat my (insulated) coop. It gets down to -20'F several times in Jan-Feb, and we've also had several -40'F nights here. On all those below zero nights, I made sure she was snuggled next to a big, fat, fluffy orpington. My Sebright is fine & has very good survival skills. She knows how to stay clean, dry, & warm in winter. Because yours is molting, I'd make sure she's in the warmest part of the coop & between some fluffy heaters (aka other hens).

I only have one Sebright. She made it through 2 northern Midwest winters just fine. I was told that bantams do better here when in a heated coop, but I fear the fire risk and decided not to heat my (insulated) coop. It gets down to -20'F several times in Jan-Feb, and we've also had several -40'F nights here. On all those below zero nights, I made sure she was snuggled next to a big, fat, fluffy orpington. My Sebright is fine & has very good survival skills. She knows how to stay clean, dry, & warm in winter. Because yours is molting, I'd make sure she's in the warmest part of the coop & between some fluffy heaters (aka other hens).
Thanks! Good to know. She seems to be growing her feathers in and less seem to be following out. Her tail is growing back in too. She wasn't totally bald, but her stomach and tail feathers all fell out. Now she's partially covered w feathers still filling in. I've been closing up the door on their coop at night the past couple nights because it's gone down below freezing. Sometimes she is in the middle other times she's on the end, but I'll try to get her in the middle when I can.

My BBOE (in my avatar) is the same way. On the ground you'd think he's the biggest baddest rooster in the world, but I pick him up and he is fine. This morning he attacked my foot and I laughed at him. I was told by the lady at TSC to bantams have 'little man syndrome' and that if I ended up w/ a boy he'd be difficult like that.

My Sebrights are creeping towards being 7 months old and have finally grown combs. I’m so proud. :lol: They’ve also contributed several eggs to the incubator crossed with my Jap boys. I’m curious to see how their patterns come across. If all goes well I might try to pen them and see if I can make some gold/ silver sexlinks with my black tailed white and buff cockerels on the opposite colored pullets.
28F80624-EC3E-4B71-9082-8BA49D75ECEC.jpeg 22690B1A-7C5E-464C-8BB6-4557B4555CB8.jpeg

My Sebrights are creeping towards being 7 months old and have finally grown combs. I’m so proud. :lol: They’ve also contributed several eggs to the incubator crossed with my Jap boys. I’m curious to see how their patterns come across. If all goes well I might try to pen them and see if I can make some gold/ silver sexlinks with my black tailed white and buff cockerels on the opposite colored pullets.
View attachment 1230412 View attachment 1230413
They look good.

We've had over a week of very cold temps & below zero every night for 2 weeks. It finally broke yesterday & we even got up to 30'F! Of course, with that warm weather, we got an ice storm. LOL

Poor Trouble doesn't like the cold and just looks grumpy.
IMG_6421.JPG

Back
Top Bottom