sebright thread

They look good.

We've had over a week of very cold temps & below zero every night for 2 weeks. It finally broke yesterday & we even got up to 30'F! Of course, with that warm weather, we got an ice storm. LOL

Poor Trouble doesn't like the cold and just looks grumpy.
View attachment 1230554
Oh the poor frozen dear. Y’all are in the same boat as us, ice and all.

We’ve finally gotten free of the polar vortex ourselves. It got pretty bad, I even moved the birds inside for those worst day. If my Sebrights were cold enough to let me pick them up and cuddle in my coat with zero fuss, something wasn’t right.

Oh the poor frozen dear. Y’all are in the same boat as us, ice and all.

We’ve finally gotten free of the polar vortex ourselves. It got pretty bad, I even moved the birds inside for those worst day. If my Sebrights were cold enough to let me pick them up and cuddle in my coat with zero fuss, something wasn’t right.
:lau Yeah, that about sums it up.

Thankfully we have some big fluffy heaters for her to snuggle. (Orpingtons) Each night I had to look under all the hens to find & make sure Trouble was OK.

I currently don’t have any sebrights but I had a trio of golden sebrights in the summer and then my I had to rehome them. I am getting a trio of silver sebrights and a trio of golden sebrights this March. The trio I had in the summer we’re very sweet birds. Definitely not cuddly but they liked to sit on my lap while I watched tv and they would let me pet them.

I tucked my Sebright, Moonshine, into my coat when it first got below 20...I brought her in the house and then thought about how this isn't going to work. I read cold weather stories, including #1784 on previous page and then I took Moonshine back out and left her. After that we had lows all the way down to -7º F, and she did okay. Now it's back up to the 40's.....winter is up and down here....

My daughter felt bad for our sebright too. She's our only one and every time we'd go into the coop she'd stuff her in her coat. One night she begged me to take her home w/ us. I let her, but she quickly realized it was a bad idea so she went back home to the coop. She looks so tiny with all the other chickens, but she's not so tiny when you have her in the house walking around inspecting everything. AND she finally started laying again. She stopped in Oct and molted, then about 2 weeks ago she started up again. Tiny cream colored eggs just about every day now. I've noticed she's a lot more pecky since she started laying again too.

I just found this in DS's backpack. I had a good chuckle imagining Santa trying to control a little flock of Sebrights.....
IMG_6630.JPG

:gig
I didn't even know that DS knew the diff chicken breeds. I highly doubt the teacher knew what he was talking about.

I just found this in DS's backpack. I had a good chuckle imagining Santa trying to control a little flock of Sebrights.....
View attachment 1230807
:gig
I didn't even know that DS knew the diff chicken breeds. I highly doubt the teacher knew what he was talking about.
LoL That is adorable. My sisters know practically all the chicken breeds, courtesy of me of course :p
3C927BA9-A806-4DC5-9B04-3592A8748D57.jpeg

Yes, DS is the resident "chicken expert" at his suburban school. Once the 4th grade was having a discussion over chicken, hen, rooster, etc. (I'm sure you know the one where people argue saying that a chicken lays eggs & so do hens; therefore the words chicken & hen mean the same thing :he)

Anyway, the 4th grade teacher sent a student to DS's kindergarten class so DS could set them straight. LOL DS is now in grade 2 and a very popular guy because all the kids want to come over to play in our backyard.

My biggest chicken pet peeve is when people ask “do cockerels/roosters lay eggs?” or “do you need a cockerel/rooster for your hens to lay eggs?” My answers are: Do men give birth? Do women ovulate with a man around?:barnie:he

Yes. I'm always surprised how many college educated people think that roosters are needed in order for hens to produce eggs. It goes to show just how far removed we are from our food source..... and common sense.

MIL & several of DH's cousins won't eat our backyard eggs. They feel the one from the store must be better because they have been processed by professionals. I try not to take offense and realize that leaves more of the delicious eggs for us. (This is from the same family that moved into a house and immediately had a mature pear tree cut down because their child tried to each a piece of fruit off it. Obviously, the ones found in the city grocery store grown with pesticides are far better for a child. LOL)

Back
Top Bottom