sebright thread

I like to say they are very outspoken!
They are quirky for sure! These 2 are not tame at all. They hate us. We let them out to hang out with our other bantys and they terrorize them. I let my american game hen visit with them and they kept pecking her bum! She let them do it about 5 times and then gave a little warning peck and boy did that little sebright screetch over nothing.

They are quirky for sure! These 2 are not tame at all. They hate us. We let them out to hang out with our other bantys and they terrorize them. I let my american game hen visit with them and they kept pecking her bum! She let them do it about 5 times and then gave a little warning peck and boy did that little sebright screetch over nothing.
:lau Yes, I can picture that!

My Sebright (Trouble) lives with the LF chickens. She has too much attitude to go in the bantam coop. She has no problem picking fights (& winning) with poultry 10 xs her size - like a female turkey or massive orpington rooster. Her eggs have never been fertile because she lives with giant roosters. The few times I put a bantam male near her, she beat him up. :hmm

Trouble has her own agenda. I wasn't planning on keeping her, but my daughter worked with her and trained her to come on command. Trouble does not like to be confined, held or cuddled, but she will land on us when called. Often when working outside, I get a little chicken land on my arm hoping for a treat. (She only gets a treat when called, so she often stays near us when we're outside...... just in case.)

Here's a video DD made for 4H. The 1st half is Trouble. I'm posting it to show you there's hope that your sebrights will learn to adore you.

:lau Yes, I can picture that!

My Sebright (Trouble) lives with the LF chickens. She has too much attitude to go in the bantam coop. She has no problem picking fights (& winning) with poultry 10 xs her size - like a female turkey or massive orpington rooster. Her eggs have never been fertile because she lives with giant roosters. The few times I put a bantam male near her, she beat him up. :hmm

Trouble has her own agenda. I wasn't planning on keeping her, but my daughter worked with her and trained her to come on command. Trouble does not like to be confined, held or cuddled, but she will land on us when called. Often when working outside, I get a little chicken land on my arm hoping for a treat. (She only gets a treat when called, so she often stays near us when we're outside...... just in case.)

Here's a video DD made for 4H. The 1st half is Trouble. I'm posting it to show you there's hope that your sebrights will learn to adore you.
Wow thats great! I think I am going to put my son in 4H as well. I think if I ever turned mine to free run I would never see them again :lol: I showed my son the video, maybe we can start working with them a little!

I taught Moonshine to fly onto my arm after seeing Faraday's daughter's video. She doesn't like to be held, either, but will do almost anything else for sunflower seeds. She's my favorite chicken.
flying (3 of 1).jpg

I taught Moonshine to fly onto my arm after seeing Faraday's daughter's video. She doesn't like to be held, either, but will do almost anything else for sunflower seeds. She's my favorite chicken.
View attachment 2010053
I love that pic. For some reason when a flapping bird is coming at me, I tend to have a swatting reflex. For me, learning to control that reflex was an exercise in trust.

BTW- We also trained some Spitzhauben to do the same come / arm land trick. They are also good flyers. I had to draw the line there. I don't want any of my 10 lb orpingtons attempting to land on me!

So my crowing Sebright laid an egg today so its confirmed that she is just nuts. We integrated all our birds this weekend after 4 weeks in a kennel. They are terrorizing the little bantys they are in with. We put a 6 foot tall divider between the new birds and my existing flock and they like to fly up on top of it to sleep. They did fly down to the other side a couple times but my american game hen put them in their place. My rooster didnt know what to do and just crowed at them.

So my crowing Sebright laid an egg today so its confirmed that she is just nuts. We integrated all our birds this weekend after 4 weeks in a kennel. They are terrorizing the little bantys they are in with. We put a 6 foot tall divider between the new birds and my existing flock and they like to fly up on top of it to sleep. They did fly down to the other side a couple times but my american game hen put them in their place. My rooster didnt know what to do and just crowed at them.
Small but fierce!
So what is her name?

Those aren't bad names.
Here are some of ours.....

My 3 yr old named his 1st hen "Firefighter" She was a great layer but like most high production birds, she died too young.
Firefighter & Simon copy.jpg "

When he was 5 he got "Chizzy" (a fearless speckled sussex. For a long time he couldn't pronounce the breed so it came out as "special sauce") She may be old, but still laying and the matriarch of the flock.
IMG_0301.JPG IMG_2731.JPG chizzy's egg.jpg

Then he claimed MY Spitzhauben as "his" and renamed her "Poof Poof"
Simon & PoofPoof.jpg IMG_3937.JPG

This year he bonded with a useless serama and named her Coge. (long o with j sound)
12 (2).jpg IMG_9893 (2).JPG
She's quirky but in a very different way than our Sebright. I'm pretty sure she doesn't like being confined. As soon as she's let out, she flies straight up about 4 ft, does a tight circle, and lands about where she started. She was raised with the LF flock and enjoyed free ranging all summer. For her own warmth & safety, she's been cooped up with the bantams this winter.

Back
Top Bottom