sebright thread

Probably been gone over before but over 190 pages is too many to skim through....
How do you sex seabrights/earliest age you can tell sex? I own one but got him as a cockeral. Have a new baby one and want to know if I am lucky enough that its a hen.

Probably been gone over before but over 190 pages is too many to skim through....
How do you sex seabrights/earliest age you can tell sex? I own one but got him as a cockeral. Have a new baby one and want to know if I am lucky enough that its a hen.
You'll see a comb on the boys first. There are pics in this thread showing noticeable early comb development in the cockerels. The girls won't develop until almost egg laying time. How old is your chick? Do you have a photo?

You'll see a comb on the boys first. There are pics in this thread showing noticeable early comb development in the cockerels. The girls won't develop until almost egg laying time. How old is your chick? Do you have a photo?
x2 I agree

The females have a flat area where you would expect to see a comb. No pink face color at all.

I am fairly new to chickens and sebrights with a small flock of 7. I have a young 8 week old Golden Sebright that we picked up from TSC who I am thinking is a cockerel. He recently started some sort of crow and has
20200720_195207.jpg
20200720_195215 (1).jpg
20200720_200849.jpg
a pretty red comb. I have attached a picture

I am fairly new to chickens and sebrights with a small flock of 7. I have a young 8 week old Golden Sebright that we picked up from TSC who I am thinking is a cockerel. He recently started some sort of crow and hasView attachment 2255166View attachment 2255167View attachment 2255168 a pretty red comb. I have attached a picture

I would say boy. The attempting to crow isn’t much of an indicator because from what I have gathered, female Sebright chicks will attempt to crow as well! The comb and wattles are a dead giveaway though. Not sure what your situation is for roosters but he will not be a loud crower. There are some youtube videos of Sebrights crowing and my hens can definitely make a lot more noise then that!

I would say boy. The attempting to crow isn’t much of an indicator because from what I have gathered, female Sebright chicks will attempt to crow as well! The comb and wattles are a dead giveaway though. Not sure what your situation is for roosters but he will not be a loud crower. There are some youtube videos of Sebrights crowing and my hens can definitely make a lot more noise then that!
My hen 'Trouble' crows when she's broody. Yes, I know sebrights are not supposed to be a broody breed, but she can't read, so she doesn't know that.

Thank you, we are fine in my area having a rooster, he is a feisty little thing and the smallest we have. we keep handling him a lot to make sure he doesnt get mean.

Thank you, we are fine in my area having a rooster, he is a feisty little thing and the smallest we have. we keep handling him a lot to make sure he doesnt get mean.
My female Trouble is very vocal, opinionated, and strong willed. In general I'd call her feisty. She's not mean; she just has to have her way. She will bully other hens - because obviously the smallest hen should be the flock leader - but she's outgoing and happy to be around people.

Just curious about scaly leg mites. My two Sebrights have it quite badly, but none of my other chickens? I have quite a mix of 8 other birds.
Also, just curious about the sun. In the heat, the rest of my birds retreat to the shady part of the run. But not my sebrights. They spread right out in a strange sideways, drunken position and soak up the blazing sun.

Anyone have experience with either of these 2 phenomenons?

Back
Top Bottom