**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote: Yep, it's from your's. It was 2 LF. The egg that it hatched from looked like a BR to me, but I could be wrong. It's such a cute little bugger.

Oh and dad has figured out that he has to share the quail with me. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do. Now that we have them I'm in love with them.
I had lots of BR hens when you got your eggs, so very possible. The roo over them was an EE. I think I sent a blue egg from my LF EE pullet too so if it hatched it would have been EE/EE. Blue eggs for sure.

Sounds like you need more quail already.
gig.gif

The chick from the blue egg didn't make it. I thought it was going to be the other way around, but this little one has surprised me. It's fluff has been stuck to it since it hatched and when I came home of my appointment you could tell the ducklings had been grooming it.
lol.png
It's finally starting to fluff up with a little help.

If you ask me, we do need more quail. I love watching how they act when they see me. It's so funny to watch the bounce in place when I check on them.
love.gif

ETA: I had what I think is my last ultrasound today. They told me that SJ is around 6 lbs and 4 ozs and to expect him to put on at least another 2 lbs. They also told me that he should be here between the 6th and 12th of June. It just depends on when he's ready.
lol.png

I'm planning to pick up a bunch more quail at the swap this weekend. There's an old woman who is always there with a couple hundred quail either just started to lay or getting ready to. She always has all different colors too. Planning on snagging a rainbow so will have lots of eggs available soon. JJ's job this weekend is to get the quail pen moved, scrubbed, repaired & ready for new tenants. Plus he has to get a roof on the big brooder & move it outside & the electric run for the lamp. The ducks are making too much mess in my little brooder & are being evicted this weekend to the big brooder once it goes outside. The ducks that were in the big brooder got evicted to the new waterfowl grow-out pen today that got built yesterday (my Mother's Day present) & the ducks & goslings that were in my chicken grow-out pen got evicted to the new waterfowl pen yesterday. They are loving it!!! They spent the entire day nibbling grass, lounging in the sun, hopping in & out of the pool & racing around the pen. Now the only duckies left in the brooders until the next batch hatches are the 1's headed to the big brooder once it moves outside.

I sold off all but 4 of my layer hens today to make room for the new pullets that will need moved within the next week or 2 because they are almost ready to lay. I have 19 broilers to process in the next 2 weeks. That will only leave me with the few pullets not ready for the big girl pen & 2 turkeys in the grow-out pen. I still have 4-5 new duck pens & a new layer coop to build (unless I use the grow-out pen for my layer coop & build a new grow-out pen). JJ thinks we will run out of room. I told him it will just be less yard he has to mow...LOL

Anybody ever splint a poult leg with success? Looks like it's broken at the knee (are they even called knees?)not the thigh, it turns out laterally when it puts pressure on it... It's about a week old, is it even worth trying? these birds have proved to be pretty resilient, it's completely fine except for the bum leg, they were in with older ones and I think it got squished in a pile up when the heat lamp went out :(

Anybody ever splint a poult leg with success? Looks like it's broken at the knee (are they even called knees?)not the thigh, it turns out laterally when it puts pressure on it... It's about a week old, is it even worth trying? these birds have proved to be pretty resilient, it's completely fine except for the bum leg, they were in with older ones and I think it got squished in a pile up when the heat lamp went out
sad.png
A pic would help, but that sounds more like niacin deficiency to me.

Anybody ever splint a poult leg with success? Looks like it's broken at the knee (are they even called knees?)not the thigh, it turns out laterally when it puts pressure on it... It's about a week old, is it even worth trying? these birds have proved to be pretty resilient, it's completely fine except for the bum leg, they were in with older ones and I think it got squished in a pile up when the heat lamp went out
sad.png
I have the same problem with one of my poults also a week old. I have had 10 poults hatch out so far and this is the only one with a bum leg. I though it had spraddled leg at first so I did the baindaid thing to keep the leg from staying out to the side but I soom realized the leg looks maybe dislocated ( though it hatched out this way so Im not sure). She cant stand on it at all and puts no pressure on it she and hops from food dish to water dish. And like yours looks very healthy and lively except the bum leg. I gave it a week to hopefully heal and it hasnt so I think we are going to cull sadly.

Hi all, I got 5 poults out of 7 eggs from my hatch this go around, which is YAY! The problem is that within 48 hours of hatch, one poult started to go downhill. He'd be fine for an hour, then flop over on his side and start gasping and clicking. We'd give him sugar water and warm him, he'd recover, then an hour later was right back at it.

I suspect he had a heart defect. He did not make it :(. Do the turkey experts out there agree that this is what his symptoms sound like?

These were our first turkeys and I love them. So much more affectionate than chicks. We hatched with tutor chicks to teach them how to eat and drink. It worked great, but I wasn't expecting the turkeys to teach the chicks how to be extra sweet and snuggly as well. Now when the turkeys cuddle under my hand, the chicks get jealous and come over too.
love.gif
Has anyone else noticed this?

Back
Top Bottom