**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Anybody ever splint a poult leg with success? Looks like it's broken at the knee (are they even called knees?)not the thigh, it turns out laterally when it puts pressure on it... It's about a week old, is it even worth trying? these birds have proved to be pretty resilient, it's completely fine except for the bum leg, they were in with older ones and I think it got squished in a pile up when the heat lamp went out
sad.png

I've splinted a chick before. She arrived in the mail with a broken leg behind the knee cap, couldn't put any weight on it. After a day or so of being curled up I made her extend it with a soft cast. It's vetwrap or Coban or something that only sticks to itself. Pictured below she's able to lean on the side of the box so she doesn't have to put weight on the leg.

She had to get her own brooder. I kept her like this for 48 hours (I went to her every 2 hours, even overnight to make sure she drank and ate as needed) then she could stand well enough to take it off:
(you can see how bruised her foot is in this picture, and the giant scab on the back of her knee)

However, if the poult was mine I'd assume maybe a slipped tendon. There's a way to grab the leg, pull it and bend it so the tendon slips back over the knee part. I'd also up the B vitamins - I'd get regular B complex tablets and crush them up and place a tiny bit in some starter and put hot water on it to soften it and sprinkle with the crushed vitamin (I would put no more than a dusting in the food, total). After a day of that if there's no improvement I'd consider the cast as above.

She's a success story - and my favorite chicken. Because she spent so much time with me growing up she doesn't think she's a chicken. She follows me around like a dog, could care less about the rest of the chicken flock and is always scheming to get in the people house.

Last edited:
Yes I did
big_smile.png

ETA - Allie doing her "flying horse" impression is on my credit card but I don't think you saw it because I was using my debit card which is just plain Jane grey.

Last edited:
Agreed we should be able to enjoy our money that we work for every now and again. Shouldn't have been too bad although you did buy more souvenirs. Thank you again for the shirt. That was totally worth it too :)

I was just looking at pictures of Angels Landing and getting sweaty palms again.

By the way, the game birds I hatched are the oddest chicks I've ever raised. They're only a few days old and yet they are insanely good at avoiding capture. I don't like being outwitted by a chick. It took me about 2 minutes to catch a poopybutt chick. I was about to have to call in reinforcements (BF). I think I'll need to handle them more than usual to get something a bit more closer to tame when they get older.

Howdy, all!

Heads up as you all are browsing for eggs, chicks, etc...a local BYC breeder has had her entire flock stolen.

Here's the post:

MISSING BIRDS FROM REVOLUTIONMAMA RANCH STOLEN ON
MAY 11TH
FROM 951 E. 1000 RD., LAWRENCE, KS

1 JUBILEE ENGLISH ORPINGTON ROOSTER
2 BLACK ENGLISH ORPINGTON HENS
1 BLACK ENGLISH ORPINGTON ROOSTER
4 CHOCOLATE ENGLISH ORPINGTON HENS
1 WHEATON Ameraucana ROOSTER
1 BLACK Ameraucana ROOSTER
2 CHOCOLATE Ameraucana HENS
4 BLACK Ameraucana juvenileS
2 CREAM LEGBAR juvenileS
TRIO OF RED SUSSEX
2 CORONATION HENS
3 BUFF SUSSEX HENS
1 BUFF SUSSEX ROOSTER
2 LAVENDER ORPINGTON HENS 1 ENGLISH / 1 AMERICAN
1 LAVENDER ORPINGTON ROOSTER
5 PURE BLACK HENS
5 BLACK/GOLD/SILVER ROOSTERS
PAIR OF GOLD LACED BRAHMA'S
1 BUFF LACED BRAHMA ROOSTER
4 SWEDISH FLOWER HENS
2 SWEDISH FLOWER HEN ROOSTERS
PAIR OF BLUE ISBARS
10 HEDEMORA CHICKENS LOTS OF COLORS
2 ADULT INDIAN RUNNER DUCKS - GREY AND THE OTHER IS WHITE

2 JUVENILE PEKIN DUCKS
1 JUVENILE RUNNER DUCK MY SONS FAVORITE BIRD, HE WAS BROUGHT TO TEARS WHEN I TOLD HIM

THERE ARE MORE, I JUST WANTED TO GET THE LIST OUT THERE

These aren't mine, but were less than 20 miles away, and it's just one of several thefts in the area. Keep your eyes open where you are, and be safe!!
OH NO!!!! I'm just sick for her...WTH is wrong with people??? I have eggs listed on CL and I got 2 emails from 2 different people, who wanted to come by. I mentioned in my ad that I do NOT have chicks for sale and that I don't sell my adult birds. Only the eggs were available and that I do not allow anyone around my birds. Two men, neither write like they speak English and one wanted to know if he could come by at that moment to get eggs, because he didn't want to wait for morning. ummmmmmm no

I'm so sorry this happened to her. We've done egg exchanges and I've also bought some of her eggs. Sickening

Back
Top Bottom