**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

The blacks are really nice to grow out. They get to a good size pretty quick. They don't grow as fast as the production birds and don't get as big as them but they will hit a growth spurt in about six weeks and just shoot up. Last year when DH and I went to AZ for a week, when we came back and I saw the blacks all I could think was somebody stole my poults and replaced them with turkeys!
lau.gif

I found homes for 3 of the chicks that had traits I didn't want to keep breeding with.

Two of my black chicks actually look like they are barring:

I wasn't expecting barring out of WLeghorn/Americauna rooster over WLeghorn/Australorp hens but from what I have read white leghorns carry barring to help suppress black in the legs. Black sex link hens should not carry the barring gene correct?

THank you to each of you that sent a hug . . .
I lost my 11 yr old dog a month ago.
sad.png
so sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss, too. Life changing.

So much loss and sadness. Arielle... how did the kids take it?
THe kids wer funny about it. I told each individually for privacy and they acted like no big deal. Of course, I had been preparing them. Appreciate him while he can walk with us to the bus stop. THey walked him down on leash, then I let him off when he and I walked back to the house-- a very long walk and he could run thru the wood or trot along with me. Glad I made a little more time for him in the end when he was the only dog left and no one to play with. Guess that means I need two dogs !! lol

Last edited:
I swear every time I have birds I want to show, they get stolen or killed. My neighbor across the alley saw me in the yard one day after I had been looking for 3 of my best birds. He told me he had caught the 3 kids 2 doors down from him with them in the alley and they had tortured and killed them. He asked if the police had contacted me and I said no. I ended up calling and couldn't even get a report written on them. Little $#%$%$@$#! These kids are still in elemetery school! I've also checked auctions when I've had birds taken. I bought a kid for my grand daughter when we first moved here and one morning my husband and I had gotten her out of the garage and let her out in the yard. We cam in and I mixed her bottle and went right back out and she was gone. We looked and asked all over. It was so heart breaking to watch my then 4 yr old grand daughter stand out in the yard yelling Bella for hours. No bushes or anything and she thought walking the whole empty yard would turn up that goat for her. I hate thieves! And animals killers!

ALRIGHT...

Someone tell me why my year old and three year old toms have plucked their bellies CLEAN.

Bright blue skin gleaming in the light like the broodiest of hens...wth???

Wow! I have been so busy with human kid things that I have not had time to keep up on this thread much. My 11 chicks from the cinco hatch are doing well. I finished my staggered hatch today. I set 12 NN and they were due yesterday. (I only had 2 eggs left at lockdown.). When I pulled the others at day ten they were clear. I eggtopsied most of them. 4out of the 5 I eggtopsied were scrambled in the shell. (Darn post office) Yesterday I noticed one moving. It pipped before I went to bed and hatched this afternoon. The other still had not pipped and I didn't see any rocking or anything so I decided to break lockdown pull the hatched chick and check it. There was no movement no internal pip. Definately dead. :( Sooooo....

That brings me to my next question..... SUPERCHEMICALGIRL, you have turkens right? Do you shipp eggs or chicks? My lone NN is currently snuggling away with his teddy bear but I feel terrible that I only have one chick to show out of that batch. I was really hoping to get a few because the hubs wanted them so badly! When I get some time after I get the kiddos to bed I will try and see what I can find locally too.

As far as the stolen chickens I cannot believe that! They really would have had to been there for a while to pack up that many chickens. I hope someone saw something and reports it. Around these parts I do not know too many people who know anything about chickens or breeds, so if something like that happened I would expect they were taken to be dinner. I too have not taken to letting people come out to our farm. We have had problems with thievery (not animals) and a few years ago we decided to set up digital video cameras for the future. We once caught our mailman poking around where he shouldn't have been, so now he isn't allowed on the property either. Some people are rotten.

I swear every time I have birds I want to show, they get stolen or killed. My neighbor across the alley saw me in the yard one day after I had been looking for 3 of my best birds. He told me he had caught the 3 kids 2 doors down from him with them in the alley and they had tortured and killed them. He asked if the police had contacted me and I said no. I ended up calling and couldn't even get a report written on them. Little $#%$%$@$#! These kids are still in elemetery school! I've also checked auctions when I've had birds taken. I bought a kid for my grand daughter when we first moved here and one morning my husband and I had gotten her out of the garage and let her out in the yard. We cam in and I mixed her bottle and went right back out and she was gone. We looked and asked all over. It was so heart breaking to watch my then 4 yr old grand daughter stand out in the yard yelling Bella for hours. No bushes or anything and she thought walking the whole empty yard would turn up that goat for her. I hate thieves! And animals killers!
If they tortured animals, there really should have been a police report! That sort of thing should be in someone's permanent records. Torturing animals for "fun" seems to be a first step in violence in later years, right? I mean slaughter for a purpose is one thing, but torture for their own amusement is not at all the same. How terrible...I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and also that your grandaughter had to go through it as well.

Back
Top Bottom