**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Here are a few things to revisit-- Are they warm enough??? No draft? Do they cuddle up with other birds for a nap? Is the water put in warm?? Are they accessing the water-- water close by where they hang out? Feed--suitable for a poult? Are they eating enough? I hatched 15 poults, and have not lost one ( yet !). When I am loosing babies I keep looking for what could be better in their environment. Hope you find the answer and will try poults again!
1. I have the light hanging in the same position as I did for the brand new chicks. They have 2 Japanese bantams and 4 silkie chicks to cuddle with, which they did seem to do. I raised 2 turkeys from day old poults last year and did the same thing with the light. 2. They are in a brooder made from a guinea pig cage with feed sacks wrapped around it, so no drafts... 3. I haven't put the water in warm. I have a hanging bottle with a nipple. They learned how to use it within minutes of putting them in the brooder. 4. I was feeding them chick starter because I had them in with some chicks. Do they need the meatbird food or the gamebird feed that early on in life? They would have been 1 week old... I just came home to the other poult dead.. :'-(

4. I was feeding them chick starter because I had them in with some chicks. Do they need the meatbird food or the gamebird feed that early on in life? They would have been 1 week old...
I just came home to the other poult dead.. :'-(
So sorry for your loss. I don't know if the feed would make a difference of this magnitude but poults do need gamebird feed. My friend kept losing poults when she had them in a brooder with a bunch of chicks - she thinks they were intimidated by that number of chicks. She switched to keeping a brooder just for poults with just 1-2 chicks as tutors and hasn't lost one since. I didn't have any tutors and had to go and buy some, so that is my set up as well - 6 poults with 2 tutors. I feed them all gamebird feed since I figure the extra protein won't hurt the chicks for the short-term, and I want the poults to have what they need.

Quote: Another?

What is different this year compared to last year?

Are they eating the shavings? I put in heat treated gravel to try to alleviate those problems.

I have been feeding chick feed to my poults with no problems. So that may not be the problem. Generally though they need to be pumped up to gamebird with a higher % and let the chicks eat the higher %.

How did the poults look in the hours before? lethargic? off by it self? puffed up? ANything noticeable?

Came home from visiting my mother to find our last Rottie had passed away. I knew his time was coming but still I was not prepared for the shock today. I thought I had more time. Looks like he passed peacefully. My ANgel.

Came home from visiting my mother to find our last Rottie had passed away. I knew his time was coming but still I was not prepared for the shock today. I thought I had more time. Looks like he passed peacefully. My ANgel.
Sorry to hear that. Very sad.
hugs.gif

Quote: Yep, it's from your's. It was 2 LF. The egg that it hatched from looked like a BR to me, but I could be wrong. It's such a cute little bugger.

Oh and dad has figured out that he has to share the quail with me. I didn't think I'd like them as much as I do. Now that we have them I'm in love with them.

Last edited:
Saturday during the day, they seemed fine. Noisy as ever in the brooder. My son found one dead in the morning and the other really lethargic. I tried to give it a drop of vitamin and some water, but it didn't do any good... Then tonight, I went out to do barn chores and my daughter brought me one of the 3 week old Cochin chicks that she found dead!! Totally different bunch of birds, different brooder... There was one other Cochin in ther among the chicks, and she seems really puffed up and lethargic. I brought her into the house and set her up in her own little hospital brooder, gave her some vitamin and some water... We'll see I guess...

What is going on?? I've never lost chicks like this! Maybe I've just been lucky up til now??

Saturday during the day, they seemed fine. Noisy as ever in the brooder. My son found one dead in the morning and the other really lethargic. I tried to give it a drop of vitamin and some water, but it didn't do any good... Then tonight, I went out to do barn chores and my daughter brought me one of the 3 week old Cochin chicks that she found dead!! Totally different bunch of birds, different brooder... There was one other Cochin in ther among the chicks, and she seems really puffed up and lethargic. I brought her into the house and set her up in her own little hospital brooder, gave her some vitamin and some water... We'll see I guess...

What is going on?? I've never lost chicks like this! Maybe I've just been lucky up til now??
Puffed up could be coccidiosis. Is the chick starter you are feeding medicated? If not, I would get them on some Corid ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom