**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

HappyAcres and Deb thank you so much for the poult pics!!!
wee.gif
Love those poults!
love.gif

In a fit of silliness I thought I'd candle a few of my eggs that I set Thursday. I can see development in the two quail I checked and the one egg of mine that I set since it's white.
wee.gif
Let's hope I can keep my hands off them now.

Last edited:
HEChicken I think you are doing the right thing by the turkey eggs. The poult will probably be OK depending on how much blood there was. I can't answer your question about the duck egg.

The ducks should be fine with extra humidity for a couple days. Just drop it a bit low for a few days after the poults hatch to compensate.
Thank you both so much. I wouldn't have thought of dropping the humidity to compensate so thank you for that too.

rotten eggs are caused by bacteria entering the egg.. there COULD have been an embryo in there at some point in time.. however the bacteria would have killed it off. An egg can go rotten regardless of being fertilized or not.. it all depends on if the bacteria can breach the shell through a pore or a crack

which is why it's always important to keep things as clean as possible when dealing with incubation

as for the turkey and muscovy eggs...

the poult may make it.. you may however need to assist the hatch since you breached the shell.. give it time.. check on it often and watch for the blood to be drawn down from the veins.. if the poult has high enough humidity and hasn't lost too much blood he should hatch just fine.. however if the membrane dries out too much or if he's too weak or if the dried blood glues him to the shell you'll need to assist if you want him to survive.
The choice to assist is yours since it's your eggs... but if you do decide that intervention is needed.. just remember to go slow.. watch the veins so you don't end up causing any more blood loss. And allow him time to absorb the yolk

X 2 to the all of the above

once the poults are done with the hatch drop the humidity in the bator back to as low as you can go (go dry for a few days) to help compensate for the extra humidity .. monitor the air cells after a few days and make sure they are still on track then adjust humidity as needed

Great information - thank you!

So far the poult is still breathing. I left for a few hours this afternoon and it was good to have the break so I didn't go in to see no progress every 5 minutes. I can see that the membrane is stuck to it, in spite of the high humidity so I already figured I was going to have to help it when the time comes. I'm kind of waiting on the poult to cue me that it is ready. So far its not moving around much and just breathing. As soon as it seems to start to struggle, I'll wrap it in a damp washcloth and try to help it out of that sticky membrane. I've done it before - I just don't want to do it too soon. This could end up being an all-nighter, if it doesn't get things going before bed time.

Okay, the promised test turkey love.

The fifth poult hatched with a small bit of unabsorbed yolk. I left it in the hatcher overnight and everything looked fairly dried out this morning. I put it in with the others and tutor chicks, of course by the time I went back to check, the chicks had picked it bloody. So it's resting back in the hatcher on it's own. It looks fine, but missed the photo op.

If the size of the snood at hatch was an indicator, I'd go a boy and three girls.
Awwww....great pictures. With luck I'll have some of my own to show some time.

In better news, Tazcat stopped by real quick this morning to drop off 5 Bourbon Red hatching eggs so they are now in my incubator with some of my own that I set yesterday.
fl.gif
I get some of them to hatch - it would be lovely to have a different color here too.

In a fit of silliness I thought I'd candle a few of my eggs that I set Thursday. I can see development in the two quail I checked and the one egg of mine that I set since it's white.
wee.gif
Let's hope I can keep my hands off them now.
You're doing well to see the quail! I hatched some Coturnix one time but didn't even try to candle them the whole time they were incubating. Something about the shell and the spots and I didn't think I'd be able to see much.

Is this what a duck egg should look like on day 22? Its a shipped egg. Didn't turn for 7 days. Its still moving. Air cells were pretty scrambled and saddled after reattaching. :/ think he'll need assisting?

Is this what a duck egg should look like on day 22? Its a shipped egg. Didn't turn for 7 days. Its still moving. Air cells were pretty scrambled and saddled after reattaching.
hmm.png
think he'll need assisting?
As long as it's a 28 day duck it looks ok to me. Scovies would be a little further behind & have a smaller air cell at this point. Calls should be filling a bit more of the bottom of the shell.

I would take a wet Q-tip and moisten the membrane.. looking for plump red veins.. if I didn't see any I would start pushing that membrane back to get it unstuck.. hopefully once you do that much he will finish the job on his own...
About an hour ago it started to get more active so I did just that. The membrane that was stuck came away fairly easily and the rest of it was okay. I put it back in the incubator to rest, with half of its body still in the shell. I'd like it to at least push itself out that much. But it is unfolded a little and opened its little eyes and looked at me and talked to me while we worked, so I think maybe its going to be okay
wee.gif
Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom