**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote: ANd I saw:

D. Sqard

gig.gif

Quote: ThaiDye was the name of my very first cockatiel. I picked her out as a baby & put down a deposit for the breeder since she was not weaned yet. She was my very special baby! Never in a cage while I was home, always sitting on me or near me. I had her for 11 years & when she passed, I just couldn't bear the thought of never saying her beautiful name again, so it became my screen name for EVERYTHING!!! Email, online accounts, forums, etc... If a site wouldn't accept ThaiDye or ThaiDye1, I would leave. Not worth my time.

Quote: I read it that way too.
hide.gif

Hatching update: Candled last night. 16 of 21 MW turkey eggs , and 10 of 14 Barred Rock tutors still going strong.
fl.gif

Too early to tell on the 3 potential Guin eggs (Buff Orpington/Guinea cross) I set last week. Same for the 27 Buckeye and Wyandotte eggs set in the new incubator on Friday.
Haven't been able to find if/where the guineas are hiding their eggs in the woods, but one helpful hen decided to start laying in the barn. She said these are for SilkieSensation if she still wants 'em.
wink.png

Quote:
I have had them drown after pip simply because the air was too moist & they couldn't breathe. This was back when I 1st started & listened to everyone who said humidity needed to be like 80% for hatch. I lost a LOT of chicks who simply suffocated from all the moisture in the air. So whether you call that drowning or suffocating it's still high humidity during hatch that causes it.

that would be carbon dioxide poisoning

humid air holds less oxygen than dry air

so extremely high humidity will have less oxygen holding capacity than the same air if it were dry

so they don't drown.. they can't since the humidity won't drown them... they just die from lack of oxygen.. which I always make sure people know to leave all vents open at hatch

for goslings and muscovy I routinely have the humidity so high at hatch that there is condensation all over the window (and on occasion all over the walls) of the bator.. never have a problem with lack of oxygen because I do open the vents as far as they will go.. plus I open the bator on occasion to check their progress.. even when I open it I soak everything down with a few good spritzs of water so the humidity immediately climbs back up to 80% or better
That's probably it then. I didn't know to open all of the vents back then either. I always have my bator open throughout hatch now too & mist before closing, but I keep humidity under 70% for waterfowl & under 60% for chicks. I don't even raise at all for quail. They hatch out at 40% the best. There's no fan in my bators though, so I can get away with lower humidity.

Quote:
ThaiDye was the name of my very first cockatiel. I picked her out as a baby & put down a deposit for the breeder since she was not weaned yet. She was my very special baby! Never in a cage while I was home, always sitting on me or near me. I had her for 11 years & when she passed, I just couldn't bear the thought of never saying her beautiful name again, so it became my screen name for EVERYTHING!!! Email, online accounts, forums, etc... If a site wouldn't accept ThaiDye or ThaiDye1, I would leave. Not worth my time.

Quote:
That is too funny. I always read your screen name as "discard". Don't ask me - that's just the way my brain works.
hide.gif
I didn't even stop and think why someone would name themselves "discard".
I read it that way too.
hide.gif

awww do you have a pic of her?

Hey everyone, I might have messed up, I have a turkey poult that pipped sunday, I could see it had not made any progress as of this morning, so dummy me did not realize poults have 2 membranes, at least that is what it look like to me, as I was chipping away, I kept going because it looked like the veins were dried up and as I was removing the shell only the poult stated chriping loudly and trying to get out, well once it did get out I noticed that there was blood and the yolk sac was not fully absorbed. just a little left, poult is lively and bright eyed and I left it in the incubator, since no other eggs are hatching, it was one of 6 I found in a secret nest in neighbors yard in a snow storm, all the others did not develop, so now what should I do? My instincts tell me to leave it in the bator until it drys off and then go to Meyer and see if they have any poults for sell to keep it company. Does that sound right?
Thanks Dummy Michele

Back
Top Bottom