**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

First

Raz, congrats on the new niece!! It's great when babies have cousins to play with. Looks like you're all set!

RIP Randy...............Sorry...........................but you look really tasty sittin in the bag!

Been working since morning out back. The Marans pen is sort of back together. I hate it, but I had to do something. I got a shipment of eggs today and I was to busy to stop and open it. I've been inside since 9 and it's still sitting here unopened. I feel like I'll just be hurting any future chicks. I'd check the incubator off and on today and about a half hour ago, I opened it up and was going to toss all the pipped, but dead chicks out and hear peeping. More eggs pipped, but nothing through the membranes. I don't even want to try to assist again. Done it so often I could literally do it half asleep and ended up with chicks. Not this time. I've lost every single one I tried to help.I just pushed the basket back toward the back and closed the door. When I was at the feed store today, they had chicks ready for people to pick up after they were hatched out. Several had been stuck in the shells and still had some dried membrane here and there. I told the wife what was going on and she said everyone has been having problems including them. I feel bad that others are having problems too.

I guess I need to figure out if I'm going in or not. The ones I've left alone haven't made it either. I'm just thinking that since they are still pipping, maybe today would be better, because the yolks are probably absorbed. Well maybe.

If it weren't for Ron, I'd never keep up with this thread.

Candled again. I doubt I'll get one of the remaining six to hatch. That trip from Maine was a killer on those eggs. Only the olive colored egg has a decent air cell and it looks too large! Don't know how to increase humidity under a broody.

My friend KathyinMo should come to my rescue and ship me some newly hatched chicks next week so that my faithful Blue Copper Olive egger hasn't sat on these eggs for three weeks for nothing!

AZ is warming up! Forecast for Sunday is 100 degrees. I've still got a few peas left to pick, I'm already harvesting tomatoes and squash. The pepper plants are finally starting to grow, but the wild birds are eating all of my romaine lettuce. :-(

I have a few cauliflower and broccoli plants left to harvest, and then it's just squash, corn and tomatoes until I plant again the end of August.

It's been warm enough I've even taken a few dips in the pool this week.

I've had three pullets lay their first eggs this past week. My RIR, my Black Star and one of my 3 polish that is in the coop.. I'm suspecting my blue polish.

Can't wait to see how many females I get out of my McMurray Duke's Mixture. I'm expecting less than 25 out of the 50. Some of the giant partridge cochin roos should be good eating as they are really growing FAST.

Have a great weekend y'all!

M

Well just candled my tutors and I think my thermometer was off. Not looking good on the home front. I think I might have "cooked" them. Hoping that I can run down to the feed store and pick up a few chicks next weekend. The turkeys are doing fine (they are in another bator). Bummer but at least I learned that the Spot Check is the thermometer to use.
hmm.png

I'm hopelessly behind. Not even gonna try to catch up. Sick rooster is feeling better. he has had 2 shots of Tylan now & has been force fed several times to keep his strength up. I have been mixing chick starter with vitamin/electrolyte water & dropping it into his mouth 2x a day for the last 3 days. Today he was clucking like a hen & scratching. Also holding his tail up for the first time this week.

Kitty's nose growth has gotten slightly larger. It felt kinda spongy so I took her back to the vet to see if it could be drained again. Vet was only able to get a tiny bit out. Kitty sneezed very hard while with the vet & the fleshy mass inside her nostril is now sticking outside her nose a bit. The sneeze must have moved it by its force. Don't know if that's good or bad. Asked about setting up a fund for donations. They have to check with manager & will get back to me. Overall, kitty acts normal. he eats, drinks, runs, jumps, plays & begs like never before.

We have been having a terrible time financially this year. I have been injured at work & have not worked in 6 months. WC checks are helping (and the reduced pay is balanced by reduced gasoline purchases), but money is very tight. We were trying to set some money aside for kitty's vet bill, but then the septic tank decided it was time to overflow. We saved some money by digging it up ourselves (with the help of some neighbors), but the cost still hurt. At least the tank itself is still in good condition.

My family is in town from out of state & with all that has been happening, I have been too stressed to really enjoy anything. I feel like I've been dragged out into the street & just beat. I'm so upset that I can't share their excitement right now. I think all this pressure is finally wearing me down.
hit.gif

It's always darkest before the dawn. This has always proven to be true in my life. Now, when everything possible that can go wrong, does, I always say "Something great must be getting ready to happen". Eventually it does..... Saying a prayer for you...
hugs.gif

Oy! Just discovered that when my DH made the last check of nestboxes last night that he gathered an egg with an X on it. Not knowing what to do with it, he left it on the counter for me. I just found it... Wail, it's one from under my broody. Cold! I candled, and it's full, it's on day17, thought I may have seen movement, so stuck it in the duck bator. :fl

Mental note: write more than an X on broody eggs, something like "Chick inside, do not remove!" And also, remind all family members to ask me about anomalies immediately.

Oy! Just discovered that when my DH made the last check of nestboxes last night that he gathered an egg with an X on it. Not knowing what to do with it, he left it on the counter for me. I just found it... Wail, it's one from under my broody. Cold! I candled, and it's full, it's on day17, thought I may have seen movement, so stuck it in the duck bator.
fl.gif

Mental note: write more than an X on broody eggs, something like "Chick inside, do not remove!" And also, remind all family members to ask me about anomalies immediately.

Did he think the hen put the X on it herself?
lau.gif

I'm leaving soon to go to Utah for a few days. My broodies are caged up in their nesting boxes and I've written "DUCK EGG FOR BANTY" on the two duck eggs she's sitting on in bright red sharpie for BF.

If you have problems with broodies leaving the nest to poo/eat then come back to the wrong nest you should make some cages. They work great, you just let them out once a day, and then put the cage back up. Just size them to fit the nesting box hole. Mine stay in with friction and a shim.

Oy! Just discovered that when my DH made the last check of nestboxes last night that he gathered an egg with an X on it. Not knowing what to do with it, he left it on the counter for me. I just found it... Wail, it's one from under my broody. Cold! I candled, and it's full, it's on day17, thought I may have seen movement, so stuck it in the duck bator.
fl.gif

I have a feeling that he go the message...I am sure you had a "strong" reaction to finding that egg!

Post back in 4 days when that egg hatches!

fl.gif

Oh no thats awful!!! I hope it hatches for you. How long was it on the counter for?

Im so bad, Im the only one allowed to check nest boxes now Everyone else needs to ask permission first and follow my exact directions lol. I feel bad for my kiddos who always want to check but I have breeding coops and just egg layers coop. They are getting the hang of it and I now have 2 seperate baskets for collecting fertile eggs vs eating eggs. My DH thinks ive gone mad.

Back
Top Bottom