**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Heard the first few chirps from inside of the eggs tonight. None of them have pipped yet, but I wasn't even expecting chirping.

I set the chicken eggs this time on April 14th, should they be chirping/internally pipping already or are they coming early? How long after they chirp/internally pip before they externally pip typically?

they are turkeys and were set on 4/10
I am attaching a pdf of your hatch chart!

You are on day 24 so they are a couple of days early, assuming they take 36 hours to hatch after pip.

They will probably hatch on the fifth or the sixth. Temps may have been just a bit high but they will be fine!

Hopelessly behind again. The little teacup chick with wry neck died this morning. I tried giving her eggs & vitamin water for the last few days, but I just knew she wouldn't make it. Took pix of the Easter chickies so I can start posting on Craigslist, Was gonna split the hatch with my friend, but she's got broodies hatching eggs so there are just way too many at the moment. Also have 2 young OE cockerels who are just beautiful! Would love to keep them, but too many roosters. Either CL or just let them free range around here. The dogs are pretty good about leaving chooks alone, but there are many other predators here.

So I put the 15 chicks under the broody just before 8PM so it's been over two hours.

I'm headed out to check on them one more time before I hit the sac.

I hope she takes to them. They all cuddled under her and made very little noise.

The one or two eggs that could possibly hatch aren't due until Monday, but when I candled this evening, I don't give them much hope. I did take one egg that was an obvious quitter and put it in the garbage.

She has been such a DILIGENT broody.. She is a Blue Copper Olive egger and was heavy 3 weeks ago but setting on eggs full time has taken it's toll and she seems kind of light now.

Pics in the AM!!!

I am attaching a pdf of your hatch chart!

You are on day 24 so they are a couple of days early, assuming they take 36 hours to hatch after pip.

They will probably hatch on the fifth or the sixth. Temps may have been just a bit high but they will be fine!
not sure but it was probably before noon. I just moved them all to lock down. there are two piping temp holding at 99 and before lock down humidity has been 45 to 55. I add surface area for water on lock down and get to 65 +.

very supprised at the early pips, but am hoping that it means strong health poults.

You could still be ok. They are pretty tough on day 19.

fl.gif
Sending happy hatch thoughts your way!
X2! Rooting for you!

I found the source of some of the chirping - one of the eggs has externally pipped! Problem is... the first ever pip on my first hatch is a wrong end pip
hmm.png
. (s)he is pipping on the skinny end of the egg. Could this be due to my smallish air cells prior to lock-down?

If I understand right, they should hatch on the 21st day around the time you set the eggs, this egg is pipping about 1.5 days before they are due to hatch. I think I was running my bator a bit on the hot side...

Last edited:
I found the source of some of the chirping - one of the eggs has externally pipped! Problem is... the first ever pip on my first hatch is a wrong end pip
hmm.png
. (s)he is pipping on the skinny end of the egg. Could this be due to my smallish air cells prior to lock-down?

If I understand right, they should hatch on the 21st day around the time you set the eggs, this egg is pipping about 1.5 days before they are due to hatch. I think I was running my bator a bit on the hot side...
Yes, wrong end pippers can be caused by high humidity, but also low humidity & wonky air cells. Anything that affects the chick's ability to turn by making the membrane too tight. Most chicks take 12-24 hours to fully hatch after 1st pip so not all that early really. If they are bantam eggs then they often hatch 1-2 days early. I would just keep an eye on it & make sure it makes some progress within about 6-12 hours. If it doesn't, check Sally Sunshine's siggy on any post for links to assisted hatch instructions if need be.

I had 6 tutors hatch (4 still pending, but I think 3 are early quitters.) The first one to pip was a malposition, who hatched 2nd with his yolk unabsorbed. He looked pretty lively last night, but was gone by morning. Other 5 are doing well. Now they just need someone to tutor!

Guinea update: Started her on antibiotics last night. She's still not eating or moving much, but more than yesterday and looks alert. This morning she was calling to her guinea friends outside. Not using her indoor voice, but a good sign I think. ;)

Back
Top Bottom