**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Winners of the poultry in action contest have been picked

1st place goes to debs_flock with the flapping gander pic

2nd place goes to uphilljill with the flying guineas pic

3rd place goes to mstricer with the flapping D'Uccle pic

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone for participating!

Congrats everyone!!

Quote:
Ah! Perhaps it's something that all of this genre of washer does, because mine is an LG front-loader and it sings to me when I set it and when it's done. I love that thing.

clap.gif
A big hand to the winners!!

Last edited:
I could use a hug today, too.

hugs.gif

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like a may lose one of the EE chicks. This is just not my day. It looks like it's deformed. I may end up trying to make a deal with my dad. They're selling 'Ameracana' chicks at the feed store and since Blu might be starting work tomorrow (he has to fill out the paperwork involved with the paycheck) he just might go for it. Too bad they don't sell silkies.

more chicks hatched out yesterday and today.. silver grey dorkings.. frizzle cochins.. silkies and silkie frizzle cochin cross.. bresse and euskal oiloa

i need more brooders!

OOh! frizzle cochins...I just love them....I had 2 bantam frizzle cochins last year, and they both died. :( I need more.
Actually, clothed Arielle is quite right. You don't need a lot of space. I cut on the kitchen table and sometimes on the floor, and I have my machine put away now because the "junk" table currently holds a brooder. Edited to add that I also used my ironing board to pin and measure all the things I'd need to sew. Mobile, and doesn't take up a lot of space.

I thought I was the only one who did that! I cut on our king size bed too! lol

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: for all...I need them too.

Nothing going on with the bator eggs...I swear I still hear tapping
idunno.gif

Broody is still doing great...hoping she has better luck with the eggs then I did! lol.
Got a good bit of my garden planning done...I'm hoping to finish that and order the rest of my seeds and starts tonight. :)

SCG, my problem with sewing is space. So tiny here. I have a boat load of sewing machines and can't find room to use them. This will be a good project though when I do, so I can be set to make the memory quilts I'm going to make.
Pick ONE machine, the one that can cover all the basics. Ok, maybe 2, then put the others away. BEt you only need the straight stitch for quilt and straight jacket. I have too many machines too-- inherited old machines from grandmothers. . . . .love them.
To both of the above....do you have a machine you would recommend? I had one I really liked but it got broken in a move and I finally gave it to a thrift store last year. I'd like to get another but don't need anything fancy. If I could sew through feed bags, that would be a bonus but other than that, something that threads easily, and does straight and zigzag reliably is about all I need. Every time I start to look I get overwhelmed by all the options out there, so a recommendation would be great.

You should write back and tell him, "Thanks, but TMI."
yuckyuck.gif

I think it's a Samsung. It's red.

I know that's not helpful, but that's what I know about it. Red, front load. Sings to me.
For some reason this struck my funny bone. Mine is white but that's all I can tell you about brand too. White, front load, sings to me. Actually, I really love my front loader...

Congrats to all the winners!

Linda - love the straight jacket

Great mystery prize too!

Ron, I miss the daily updates, but thank you so much for doing them throughout the hatch.

Well, my Cinco de Mayo hatch is ongoing. I have never experienced or heard of anything like this. Short recap. I set the eggs the morning of Apr 7th, in my Rcom incubator. A week later, I moved them under a broody duck to clear space in the incubator. The broody duck's hatch appeared to be a no-go so I briefly considered letting her hatch and raise the poults. Then, a week after her eggs *should* have hatched, a lone duckling appeared, two days before the poults were due to hatch. So I hurriedly retrieved the turkey eggs and moved them to the hatcher, where I set the temp at 98.5 and the humidity at 65%. Sunday came and went, and the only activity was a pip late in the evening. That poult hatched mid-Monday afternoon. Poult #2 hatched next morning. Poult # 3 hatched the following morning and poult #4 hatched at 10:30 last night, some 60 hours after the first had hatched. This morning I moved the 4th poult to the brooder and in the absence of any more pips, assumed my hatch was over, however on candling the last 3 eggs, I saw movement in all, and one of them was tapping at the shell as I candled. That was this morning and as of now, there are still no more pips. Keep in mind this is now nearing the end of day 32! Yet, every time I shine a flashlight in the top of the brooder, one of the eggs rocks, so there is definitely still life in there. The duck's own egg hatched almost a week late, so I'm guessing the lateness is something to do with the low temps we've had here and possibly a lower than average body temp on the duck. What confuses me is that it is now about 80 hours since the first poult hatched, but the last 3 are still alive, rocking, but not externally pipped. I'm thinking under a broody they would have been goners long ago as the hen would have abandoned the nest to take care of the ones who had hatched. I'm determined not to intervene so I'm not really seeking advice, but more just asking the question, if anyone has experienced a situation like this themselves?

To both of the above....do you have a machine you would recommend? I had one I really liked but it got broken in a move and I finally gave it to a thrift store last year. I'd like to get another but don't need anything fancy. If I could sew through feed bags, that would be a bonus but other than that, something that threads easily, and does straight and zigzag reliably is about all I need. Every time I start to look I get overwhelmed by all the options out there, so a recommendation would be great.

yuckyuck.gif

For some reason this struck my funny bone. Mine is white but that's all I can tell you about brand too. White, front load, sings to me. Actually, I really love my front loader...

Congrats to all the winners!

Linda - love the straight jacket

Great mystery prize too!

Ron, I miss the daily updates, but thank you so much for doing them throughout the hatch.

Well, my Cinco de Mayo hatch is ongoing. I have never experienced or heard of anything like this. Short recap. I set the eggs the morning of Apr 7th, in my Rcom incubator. A week later, I moved them under a broody duck to clear space in the incubator. The broody duck's hatch appeared to be a no-go so I briefly considered letting her hatch and raise the poults. Then, a week after her eggs *should* have hatched, a lone duckling appeared, two days before the poults were due to hatch. So I hurriedly retrieved the turkey eggs and moved them to the hatcher, where I set the temp at 98.5 and the humidity at 65%. Sunday came and went, and the only activity was a pip late in the evening. That poult hatched mid-Monday afternoon. Poult #2 hatched next morning. Poult # 3 hatched the following morning and poult #4 hatched at 10:30 last night, some 60 hours after the first had hatched. This morning I moved the 4th poult to the brooder and in the absence of any more pips, assumed my hatch was over, however on candling the last 3 eggs, I saw movement in all, and one of them was tapping at the shell as I candled. That was this morning and as of now, there are still no more pips. Keep in mind this is now nearing the end of day 32! Yet, every time I shine a flashlight in the top of the brooder, one of the eggs rocks, so there is definitely still life in there. The duck's own egg hatched almost a week late, so I'm guessing the lateness is something to do with the low temps we've had here and possibly a lower than average body temp on the duck. What confuses me is that it is now about 80 hours since the first poult hatched, but the last 3 are still alive, rocking, but not externally pipped. I'm thinking under a broody they would have been goners long ago as the hen would have abandoned the nest to take care of the ones who had hatched. I'm determined not to intervene so I'm not really seeking advice, but more just asking the question, if anyone has experienced a situation like this themselves?
Your Welcome! I did the Digest longer for this hatch--I usually stop on Hatch day.

This was a very long hatch a long too! Great fun!

Thanks to the Organizers
th

Back
Top Bottom