**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote: He will eat just about any jelly, jam, butter, spread, pickle, relish, etc. We go through a TON of crackers when he has homemade stuff to spread on them...LOL
My cousin apparently took the last of the jelly.
roll.png
Good thing we have enough blackberries to make more. Now, if only he'd return the jars so we COULD make more.
lol.png

Looks like a phone call & then a visit are in order if the threat of "no more jelly until you return my jars" doesn't work.

I don't really understand what happens to my jelly jars. When we give them to people I say "it would be really nice if you'd return the jar, so I don't have to buy them again, and I'll give you some more jam next year."

Doesn't work.

I often wonder what happens to them at people's houses. Do they become drinking glasses? Do they go to the same place where one sock always goes?

I'm tempted when we visit to start looking through peoples cupboard and take them back home with us when we find them.

Silkie, you should have said something... I'm overrun with pickles from last year. I didn't particularly like the kosher dills I did, they tasted more like bread and butter to me. I love the garlic dills we made but I don't need 10 quarts of them.

I don't really understand what happens to my jelly jars. When we give them to people I say "it would be really nice if you'd return the jar, so I don't have to buy them again, and I'll give you some more jam next year."

Doesn't work.

I often wonder what happens to them at people's houses. Do they become drinking glasses? Do they go to the same place where one sock always goes?

I'm tempted when we visit to start looking through peoples cupboard and take them back home with us when we find them.

Silkie, you should have said something... I'm overrun with pickles from last year. I didn't particularly like the kosher dills I did, they tasted more like bread and butter to me. I love the garlic dills we made but I don't need 10 quarts of them.

They throw them away..................like any grocery store glass jar..............maybe recycle them, but I doubt it.

My rule is...................you can have any product I can, but if you don't return the jar, I'll never give you another thing. I'd rather dump it down the drain (or now to the chickens). At least I'd still have my jar. I'm also real stingy about letting people take the rings. Generally if I give them a ring, they'll get one of the ratty utility ones. I keep a special box full of perfect rings for competition. The tiniest speck of rust or a dent will get your entry DQ'd. The dang rings are expensive and don't last nearly as long as the jars.

More than once, DH (AKA The Enforcer - when he's not being The Enabler), will tell people they can't have anymore because they didn't return the jar and I was peeved. At least a half dozen times I've had people go out and buy me a dozen brand new jars to replace the one they tossed in the trash!

Guilt and fear work!!!

ETA - I have a LOT of jars. When I'm doing a full canning season, I go through 500-600 jars, at least. This last season, less than 100. My kitchen was being remodeled at the height of the season.

Last edited:
I sent home a 1/2 gallon Ball jar full of goat's milk with DS2 once......on our next visit to their house I asked about it. "Oh, were we suppose to return that?" Aggghhhh! I guess if you've never had to buy jars, you don't realize how expensive they are. Maybe charging a "deposit" on them would be a good idea....pay up front and if you return the jar, you get your money back.
gig.gif

I sent home a 1/2 gallon Ball jar full of goat's milk with DS2 once......on our next visit to their house I asked about it. "Oh, were we suppose to return that?" Aggghhhh! I guess if you've never had to buy jars, you don't realize how expensive they are. Maybe charging a "deposit" on them would be a good idea....pay up front and if you return the jar, you get your money back.
gig.gif

Doesn't work.

Well if you decide you like the soap samples headed your way we can just swap soap for pickles next time around.
wink.png

Quote: How about a side swap for some of those turkey eggs...LOL I have stuff besides eggs so you don't have to hatch more if you are interested. Check my swap page & let me know.
wink.png

I don't need any waterfowl, and I am good on all of the other swap items you have...I really need some han aprons more than anything else...for THOSE I'd trade a lot of turkey eggs!!

I'll be spending the whole day throwing hay out on the chocolate cake mix that someone replaced all of the soil in the world with...it's deadly slick and smells...different.

Can't really believe it, but I have 26 broodies. 2 of them are turkeys. It's nuts. I have a zillion turkeys ready to hatch and 2 pea eggs, so I'm prepared to stuff those under one of the turkeys when they start going. I'll take all the remainders and stuff them under the other turkey, and when she has a good brood, I'll take the others and throw them in the incubator.

I can't find my straightjacket. I guess I'll just give in and keep setting. I have a few dozen eggs that are way old, and I'm not going to eat them. It would be a shame to feed these back. I'm very, very ill.

On the jars: our hardware store puts all the stuff on clearance every year. I clean up when I am able.

I always return jars and lids, and since I use the half-gallons to store dry goods, I always have a good use for the old rings. Big drawer full of them.

Quote: How about a side swap for some of those turkey eggs...LOL I have stuff besides eggs so you don't have to hatch more if you are interested. Check my swap page & let me know.
wink.png

I don't need any waterfowl, and I am good on all of the other swap items you have...I really need some han aprons more than anything else...for THOSE I'd trade a lot of turkey eggs!!

I'll be spending the whole day throwing hay out on the chocolate cake mix that someone replaced all of the soil in the world with...it's deadly slick and smells...different.

Can't really believe it, but I have 26 broodies. 2 of them are turkeys. It's nuts. I have a zillion turkeys ready to hatch and 2 pea eggs, so I'm prepared to stuff those under one of the turkeys when they start going. I'll take all the remainders and stuff them under the other turkey, and when she has a good brood, I'll take the others and throw them in the incubator.

I can't find my straightjacket. I guess I'll just give in and keep setting. I have a few dozen eggs that are way old, and I'm not going to eat them. It would be a shame to feed these back. I'm very, very ill.
I have fabric & feed sacks both available!!! Just let me know if you want fabric aprons, feed sack aprons, & full or half length.
wink.png
( I will drag the sewing machine out for turkey eggs.
big_smile.png
)

Doesn't work.

Wait a minute, SCG, sometimes you get back more than you give.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom