**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote: Your eggs shipped yesterday so you should have them tomorrow. I completely forgot to send your DC# so just let me know if you need it. I sent 8 calls & I lost count after 30+ quail. You can count them & let me know how many I actually sent.
gig.gif

My second batch of turkeys is now done...28 little boogers and a peachick! I've only found a handful of pea eggs this year, and just the one chick so far...very disappointing, but beter the one than none. I had one poult hatch under the broody Bourbon Red (Scarlett) and then I stuffed the rest under her...so she's a bit mystified as to the success.

I'm selling off all of my Orps but one project. Same with my banty Cochins and my Silkied Ameraucanas. It's tooooooo tooooooo much. I'll be putting up auctions so I can't back out because hubby will really explode if I don't follow through...

*sigh*

I really just want to have a farm with infinite space and resources...is that so much to ask?
Turkey eggs arrived this morning. Now I definitely have to go get that 4th bator.
gig.gif
I tried but I just couldn't find any more space in my 3 completely double stacked bators. Plus I had Silkie eggs arrive today too.
lau.gif

I'm dragging out my sewing machine this weekend to do your chicken aprons & the goal is to have them in the mail Monday. I have spent the past 6 days working on soap & bath salts for my swap meet coming up next weekend. I may go ahead & make extra aprons for the swap while I'm at it.

Quote: Your eggs shipped yesterday so you should have them tomorrow. I completely forgot to send your DC# so just let me know if you need it. I sent 8 calls & I lost count after 30+ quail. You can count them & let me know how many I actually sent.
gig.gif

My second batch of turkeys is now done...28 little boogers and a peachick! I've only found a handful of pea eggs this year, and just the one chick so far...very disappointing, but beter the one than none. I had one poult hatch under the broody Bourbon Red (Scarlett) and then I stuffed the rest under her...so she's a bit mystified as to the success.

I'm selling off all of my Orps but one project. Same with my banty Cochins and my Silkied Ameraucanas. It's tooooooo tooooooo much. I'll be putting up auctions so I can't back out because hubby will really explode if I don't follow through...

*sigh*

I really just want to have a farm with infinite space and resources...is that so much to ask?
Turkey eggs arrived this morning. Now I definitely have to go get that 4th bator.
gig.gif
I tried but I just couldn't find any more space in my 3 completely double stacked bators. Plus I had Silkie eggs arrive today too.
lau.gif

I'm dragging out my sewing machine this weekend to do your chicken aprons & the goal is to have them in the mail Monday. I have spent the past 6 days working on soap & bath salts for my swap meet coming up next weekend. I may go ahead & make extra aprons for the swap while I'm at it.
I think it's better if I don't have it. I tend to check it every 3 seconds.
hide.gif

My Cinco de Mayo chicks are now ~5 weeks old. Too early to separate the boys from the girls? They are Americauna/Leghorn/Black australorp mixes so will have large pea combs. What do you think about Cockerel vs pullets of these 10 chicks?

#1 about 99% sure this is a cockerel, he has a large 3 row pea comb. He is a handsome boy and I plan to keep this one (he protected our younger Red Stars from the other chickens).

#2 Leaning towards cockerel. Pea comb is getting largish but not as red.

#3 Barred possible Pullet, small comb but turning red so early worries me.

#4 Barred Pullet?

#5 Pullet?

#6 Rooster?

#7 Rooster?

#8 Rooster?

#9 Hoping for one more hen... but I don't think so?

#10 Pretty confident this is a hen

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I think you are right about all but one. IMO-- #3 looks like a cckl--sorry. I have had batches were they are all boys, usually when I look back at the records the temp ran slightly lower than other hatches. I hope I am wrong and you have a second pullet!!

Since I have about 40 poults.............I'm pretty sure I have both, LOL

I'm really liking the black ones.

My turkeys are still laying a few eggs. One of the hens is quite determined to sit, so I let her keep the last 3 eggs.

Well, I <I>think</I> my single Narraganset poult is Nigel, not Nancy. Yesterday it displayed for the first time and with some neck posturing next to one of its brood buddy chicks. I never saw any of that with the BBB hens. Also, there is a bit of the fleshy lump stuff at the bottom of the neck wattle, which I've not seen on the MW or BBB hens.

Back
Top Bottom