Second case of sour crop, much worse this time, need advice please

PeaceLily

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2018
UPDATE: It is now Friday morning and she is feeling much better, her crop was empty and she was desperate to get outside and is back to bossing her sisters around (she's the boss lol) have added a couple of photos from just now. I will let her have a wee bit of outside time before I bring her back inside, what are some good foods I can feed her today?

I have a wee brown shaver with sour crop. It all started a few weeks ago, she wasn't feeling well, would just stand in the corner not eating or drinking so did some research and discovered it was sour crop. I have recently started giving them mash, before they were mainly eating pellets and wheat, they also have access to long grass but they are also due for worming. Brought her inside, withheld food for a couple of days only giving water w acv and a little yogurt, vomited her morning and night then decided to go get some nystatin from the chemist, after that she was to herself in 3 days, comb was red again, eating and pooping normally etc. I thought the cause may be worms but I thought I would wait a week to make sure she was all better as I didn't know if it was safe but I didn't get a chance because a week later she was sick again. She had gotten under the house on Saturday and wouldn't come out, on Sunday night she came out and I bought her back inside. It is now Thursday night and she is getting better, more alert and wanting to peck me again and walk around a little but I am worried, she is so thin! This time around was much worse, the smell is so much stronger, I have been doing all the things I was last time, her crop is less full every morning but still not empty, today I decided she must be starving so gave her some mashed egg with a little oyster grit. Her poop is sooo potent the last few days, is that normal? I thought maybe it's because I'm not vomiting her so much (just a little bit in the mornings) and the yuckies are going through her. It started off just watery, but the last couple of days it is watery plus some white plus dark green gunk, is this normal? Is it a good sign?
Sorry about the novel and thanks for reading, the main things I really wanted advice on are:
When should I worm?
Is her poop normal and does it mean she's getting better?
I am also really concerned by her weight, I would also appreciate any advice! Thanks

Attachments

• 20181026_065702.jpg
    20181026_065702.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20181026_065051.jpg
    20181026_065051.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20181026_065120.jpg
    20181026_065120.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Do you think her crop is sour again because it’s still running slow, or maybe there’s an obstruction?
-how is its position? Normal or pendulous?

When you vomited her, did you load up her crop with water and give it a good massage first?

If you could, would you post up a couple of pictures?
One of her, one of her poops too.

Do you think her crop is sour again because it’s still running slow, or maybe there’s an obstruction?

When you vomited her, did you load up her crop with water and give it a good massage first?

Crop isn't pendulous, and there's no obstruction that I can feel in the crop, but a few small pieces of grass have come back up, in the mornings I havnt been giving water first because its already been so full that it oozes out when she stands up or bends over but I have been giving gentle massages, sometimes the crop will feel smaller even when she hasn't vomited which makes me think it must be moving.
It is almost 1am here but I will take some photos and post them first thing in the morning. Thanks for your reply!

Long grass is a problem for chickens. What type of wheat are they eating, is it ground up or whole or what?

I have a wee brown shaver with sour crop. It all started a few weeks ago, she wasn't feeling well, would just stand in the corner not eating or drinking so did some research and discovered it was sour crop. I have recently started giving them mash, before they were mainly eating pellets and wheat, they also have access to long grass but they are also due for worming. Brought her inside, withheld food for a couple of days only giving water w acv and a little yogurt, vomited her morning and night then decided to go get some nystatin from the chemist, after that she was to herself in 3 days, comb was red again, eating and pooping normally etc. I thought the cause may be worms but I thought I would wait a week to make sure she was all better as I didn't know if it was safe but I didn't get a chance because a week later she was sick again. She had gotten under the house on Saturday and wouldn't come out, on Sunday night she came out and I bought her back inside. It is now Thursday night and she is getting better, more alert and wanting to peck me again and walk around a little but I am worried, she is so thin! This time around was much worse, the smell is so much stronger, I have been doing all the things I was last time, her crop is less full every morning but still not empty, today I decided she must be starving so gave her some mashed egg with a little oyster grit. Her poop is sooo potent the last few days, is that normal? I thought maybe it's because I'm not vomiting her so much (just a little bit in the mornings) and the yuckies are going through her. It started off just watery, but the last couple of days it is watery plus some white plus dark green gunk, is this normal? Is it a good sign?
Sorry about the novel and thanks for reading, the main things I really wanted advice on are:
When should I worm?
Is her poop normal and does it mean she's getting better?
I am also really concerned by her weight, I would also appreciate any advice! Thanks
I would make water available to her.
Try to massage the crop and work it around to get it moving.

You don't mention if she has laid any eggs recently. Do you feel any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
Is she able to poop at all?

Long grass is a problem for chickens. What type of wheat are they eating, is it ground up or whole or what?
Yes I have read that long grass can be a problem, it's spring here in New Zealand so there's lots and lots of it. she was having whole wheat but I stopped buying it because they weren't eating it anymore, they have been eating alot of mash recently so maybe this is the change that has put her out of balance?

I have posted a few pictures above, am so happy to say her crop was empty this morning!

I would make water available to her.
Try to massage the crop and work it around to get it moving.

You don't mention if she has laid any eggs recently. Do you feel any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?
Is she able to poop at all?

Yes I have been massaging and will continue to do so until she's all better, she has been inside 6 days and hasn't laid, I have been checking her abdomen, I thought egg bound was a possibility but can't feel anything, it just feels soft which I don't even know if it's a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom