Second guessing my coop plan?

Meeecho

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2021
Vancouver, WA
Looking for advice. I've built an 8'x12' coop out of pallets and i am very happy with how it came out. I just have to add the door and roof and figure out the run area. I think I am realizing that it needs to be more secure but probably cannot afford to put hardware cloth across the whole thing. My idea for the run is to add a fence to the left of the coop to seal in the area between the retaining wall and shed and then put bird netting across the top of it. I would have a small access door to allow chickens to go between the two areas when I am wanting them to. My thinking is that I would put a smaller elevated enclosure inside the main coop to have nests, food, water, etc. They would either have free access to the whole palleted coop or would have a door that I can let them out of the elevated enclosure each morning.

Unfortunately only have photos of build from a few days ago but you can get the idea.

How would you recommend that I proceed?

Attachments

• 0315211624.jpg
    0315211624.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210315_151116_01.jpg
    IMG_20210315_151116_01.jpg
    830.9 KB · Views: 17
Hello and welcome to BYC. I think we're going to have to see photos of the current state of things to get a good idea of what needs to be done.

8x12 is a nice size.

Where, in general, are you located (you can add it to your profile)? That will help us offer better-targeted advice. :)

Hello and welcome to BYC. I think we're going to have to see photos of the current state of things to get a good idea of what needs to be done.

8x12 is a nice size.

Where, in general, are you located (you can add it to your profile)? That will help us offer better-targeted advice. :)
I can get a photo up tomorrow. But in the first picture I posted you can see the two side walls and the front wall laying on the ground with the roof on top of it. If you can just imagine the third wall secured on the front instead of on the ground- that is what I've got!

I am in Vancouver, WA., just north of Portland, OR. I am trying to update my profile now.

If you aren't putting any siding on that it's going to be extremely vulnerable to predators. Weasels, snakes, and rats could easily get through the gaps and raccoons will reach in to grab wings, feet, or heads, pull them through, and tear them off. :(

I suggest that you use additional pallet boards to close up the gaps for most of the coop but use hardware cloth for the top 6-8" under the roof overhangs to provide excellent ventilation.

If you aren't putting any siding on that it's going to be extremely vulnerable to predators. Weasels, snakes, and rats could easily get through the gaps and raccoons will reach in to grab wings, feet, or heads, pull them through, and tear them off. :(

I suggest that you use additional pallet boards to close up the gaps for most of the coop but use hardware cloth for the top 6-8" under the roof overhangs to provide excellent ventilation.
Excellent idea

Makes sense. I was also going to put hardware cloth or similar across the floor and bury it with topsoil or dirt to stop diggers.

Back
Top Bottom