Second hatch attempt

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjxj, Aug 7, 2010.

1. jjxj

jjxj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Hi everyone. After significant problems on my first hatching attempt I now have 6 chicks from my second hatch that are about 10 days old. [​IMG]

I still lost many many chicks, but I am learning from my mistakes...I don't think having the new chicks in my musty basement was a good idea. They are now on the main level in the spare bedroom, living happily in a stock tank.

They are on medicated feed, electrolytes, and terramycin. These six never acted sick, but with others failing I bought the antibiotic and started giving it to all of them. I got the terramycin at a feed store and the guy there said to keep them on it for 2 months. Does this sound right? I'd rather not keep them on it any longer than necessary.

I wanted to share my limited success with everyone that helped with the previous disaster. The incubator and turner are at a friend's house (it's his incubator-I bought the turner) right now but I'll get more going probably in a few months.

2. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    Congratulations on the hatched chicks,.. feels great i bet..
    Post some pics of those babies [​IMG]

3. jjxj

jjxj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    This should be a picture of the chicks. [​IMG] If nothing appears I will have to try again.

[​IMG]

4. jjxj

jjxj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    And they do have water...

5. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    very cute... congratulations..

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your earlier losses. You have a good little flock started. Stock tanks make excellent brooders!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by