Second Hatch, this time I will actually TRY to do things right.

Sallysec

Songster
7 Years
Aug 31, 2012
New York
So I will be honest, I plugged in my first incubator and received my first shipped eggs and couldn't wait. I just jumped up and put them right in the incubator at the factory settings (I had it plugged in two days ahead of the eggs arriving so I did have it on at least). Long story short I don't know if I made any mistakes really or if I didn't because I honestly just set the incubator for twenty one days and on day 21 I had two little chicks hatch out. I was addicted to it from day 20 or so when the first one pipped. I knew there was going to be a second hatch. Turns out there are now 2 incubators.

I knew nothing, I still don't know much but I have done more reading and rereading...I plan to try and be better this time around. To actually take notes and check humidity rather than just believing blindly.

I ordered some eggs from a very lovely and kind BYCer and today I start with documenting if I can do this correctly.

To start I plugged in my Brinsea Mini Advanced and my Brinsea Mini Eco on the 17th.

THE ECO Setup

I put my hydrometer in the Eco first to check if it had a good temp reading on its internal thermometer. I get a 1 degree reading difference at the factory setting. Thermometer inside is reading 98 and the outside thermometer is saying 97. Adjusted the incubator manually with a slim screwdriver. Today 8/19 before putting the eggs in I am getting a 98.4 on the external thermometer I purchased an a 99 almost 100 on the internal mercury thermometer. I am thinking of leaving it that way. Humidity is at 48% with half the pot full.
Okay so my husband convinced me to notch it up slightly...after half an hour we have a temp of 99.1 on the external and 100 slightly more but not 101 on the internal. I will have to manually turn these and plan to do so three times a day.

THE ADVANCED Setup

I placed the hydrometer in the Advanced to see what was going on and I have to say it was a .2 difference. I have the Advanced setup to 99.5 and the reading on the external thermometer is 99.7. With no water in the pot I got a humidty of 28%. (Background on this is that I used this to hatch my first chicks and only filled the pot on candling days, which left it dry by the next time I candled.)
I plan to leave this one dry most of the time and fill only on candling days again I think. This is set to auto turn.

THE EGGS

My eggs are shipped eggs from Florida to New York. They came by 2 day express packed beautifully in a double box method with individual bubble wrap.

Eggs arrived around 2pm EST and I unpacked them all to find 14 Eggs in total and all in tact.

Egg 1-8 are Rhodebar eggs

Egg 9-14 are Cream Legbar eggs

I plan to put 3 of the CL eggs in each incubator and 4 R eggs in each. I have candled and taken pictures of each egg. I also tried to weigh each egg but as I am using a non digital egg scale some won't register. I will post individual egg information later. Company is here!

smaller box was inside the larger one, each egg bubble wrapped and taped individually. Tons of paper so nothing moved around
fl.gif

everyone unwrapped

this was the outer box

These are the approx weights because it is done with a Jiffy scale, not digital and therefore I can't get a few of the eggs to register *(N/A)
Egg Weights (Approx)

Egg 1 = 43 g
Egg 2 = 55g
Egg 3 = 47g
egg 4 = 48g
egg 5 = 44g
egg 6 = -N/A
egg 7 = 48g
egg 8 = 45g
egg 9 = 44g
egg 10 = -N/A
egg 11 = -N/A
egg 12 = 46g
egg 13 = 44g
egg14 = 49g

Pictures of each egg being candled are in my album labeled Hatch 2 candling day zero

Last edited:
The Eco is reading 96 on the exterior thermometer. I just ran out to buy a third thermometer before I freak out completely. Interior manufacturer thermometer says 100...

So today was day seven and I clearly see development in 13 of the 14 eggs. I am having a hard time with the camera on the eggs though. I may try again tomorrow or do a video for my own education.

Whoop! Whoop! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no luck with shipped eggs! :( 0/17 hatched. All detached air cells. Really disappointing. But I'm glad u got 13 fertile and alive! Keep us updated

Good Luck!!! I just bought the Brinsea Eco Mini, and I am setting eggs Friday that I received today. I am hoping mine are packaged as good as yours. I am getting about 20 eggs. I am interested to see your outcome !! :)

Candled at day 10, pretty sure one egg is unfertile and one egg has a blood ring and a stop at developing. I also think one of the eggs has no movement but no visable ring.

The eggs in the eco are more 'active' than the eggs in the advanced.

egg eight has no development on day 7 candle as well as day 10 candle. I believe not fertile.
Egg six looks to have a blood ring on day 10 candle.
Egg seven has little movement but no indication of early death yet.
All the other eggs are moving and developing. It is harder to see movement in the cream legbar (blue) eggs.

Back
Top Bottom