Second Hawk Attack - YIKES!

We live in a high predator area as well I have had good luck with the deer netting sold at Wallyworld for trees its 15 x 12 or something My DH put up 6 foot poles and then ran the netting across it. Its over our grown out pen and nothing has gotten any of them yet. We live adjacent to a wildlife management area so we have alot of predators roaming about on land and in the sky. So far we have not had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are hilarious! At the same time, I'm envious, because in my world here in the Midwest:
Seagulls= Ocean
Ocean=Vacation!

micki, I went to Wallyworld and bought something they call plastic fencing. It looks and feels like plastic netting, comes in 3'x50'rolls and cost $9.95. I'm still using the mylar balloons for when they are free ranging.

Wow!!! Its funny you see seagulls as an ocean vacation----I am in SE,Louisiana, I see seagulls as large quanities of unclorinated water--scarey!!!!! I am at least North of interstate I-12(Away from flood waters/tidal surges-yikes).
ep.gif
We have seagulls everywhere-I do enjoy feeding them. They hangout in shopping center parking lots looking for handouts. I have the netting too!!! We have lots of prey birds here also.
hide.gif

Quote:
I am in Michigan no oceans around and miles from the nearest Great Lake. But surrounded by farms and seaguls love it when the tractors are out plowing up the field. The boys who farm our property hit 3 of them with the tractors last year.

I love hawks. But today I also had my second hawk attack. The first one took my beautiful splash Polish bantam roo in December. Today it was one of the little chicks.
Pretty sure it's this one, looking towards our coop about 25 feet away. It has a nest way up high right above where my chickens love to hang out on our property.
barnie.gif

I've seen it and the nest since last June (although only a few times perched on the fence), but I've only had 2 picked-off. I wonder why I haven't lost more.
2682744149_bf6189a5bc.jpg

I'm so sorry for everyone that has lost one of their chickens to a hawk attack! Will a hawk take something as big as a buff orpington? Or have you mostly lost bantams and smaller breeds? We have red-tailed hawks where I live, and I want to protect my girls!

We have hawks in are area . My girls have a yard with a nice huge tree that provides cover but i still worry. We also have wolves which is a big worry. I dont know what i would do if my ladies got taken by a hawk
sad.png
I tell kids always keep a eye out while you are outside for hawks.

Starry hoping your ladies stay safe

Back
Top Bottom