Second Hawk Attack - YIKES!

Unless your fishing line is woven into a pretty tight network, hawks can get down through it (depending upon type of hawk - some are precision flyers) so erring on the side of caution with some netting afixed to it would be my advice. The crows are great, but aren't always around, and if you're not always right there either, it's trouble waiting to happen unless the line network is very dense.
JJ

have u ever though of old shiny cd that what i use i tie it up with a string and hang it up and let the wind spin it around it reflex a light and the hawk do not know what to make of it so far it kept them away

I notice the hawks go for the sm. verses large. then the whites over the darker birds. I have gotten bird ex netting. will use that over my run. with support cross wires. Army surplus has camoflodge netting stuff. Yeah you will need to give your girls some entertainment. Make them search for stuff. My little ones, I will drop a leaf of romaine lettuce gets them all going, thinking about something else. They are not totally feathered and we are having a cool front. May get in to the late 30's. So they are in side.
pop.gif
Mc Murphy has a food block that you hang that they have to work to get the food. Purina puts out the flock block. I would also give them a half head of cabbage its hard and they really have to pick at it. I have herd neg. stuff about cabbage but if there are enough birds its goes pretty quick. I have had no neg. side effect to my birds eating cabbage.
droolin.gif

I think I'll take your advice JJ and get some netting to put over the top. I didn't raise these chicks in my kitchen and tolerate all of that dust in there from them just to feed the hawks.

I let my hounds run free. We have so many chickens and critters all over the place, that the dogs don't realy care about harming chickens. small birds hate hawks and crows will kill them. I find a ballence of small birds and a good Crow fight tape is a natural way to Bribe the goons of the animal Kingdom who could do it or taunt Mr Hawk, even if I can't.

I took your advice and purchased a Crow/hawk fight tape. My family thinks that I've completely gone off the deep end: I play my tape and stand over the ladies with a hawk-be-gone stick (a garden rake).

While I do feel a little "American Gothic", it seems to be doing the trick. The first time I played the tape, one crow flew by out of curiosity. I do remember reading somewhere on this forum that crows will also kill chickens. I'm just hoping they're not as stealthy as our local hawk...

I picture you in a wonder woman suit right now.....I'm sorry....I know....It's just not right:p
Until yesturday I was fortunate enough to not have issues with Hawks. My dh heard the girls going nuts, and he looked all around, did a head count, and nothing. Minutes later they started acting looney again and he checked everywhere for anything out of place and a Hawk went flying out of the tree not 40' away. Sick of waiting for dinner I guess.

Has anyone mentioned yet trying a few fake crows? Crows harass all birds of prey and a hawk might stay away if it sees what it thinks are a bunch of crows around your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom