Second opinion on symptoms

Goldenpheasantlover

Songster
13 Years
Apr 29, 2008
England
So I'm pretty sure one of my hens is laid low with sour crop, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I started doing anything about it, and also to get an idea of how urgent the situation is.

Hen is an ex-commercial bird (not ex-battery, came from a free range farm nearby), I think around 3/4 years old, feels a little bit on the skinny side but not completely emaciated
Found her this morning basically completely floppy, she can stand but would rather lie down all the time and often rolls partly onto her side, eyes close a lot, very weak and floppy, this is a bird that doesn't normally like to be touched but she doesn't make a fuss at the moment, she seems a little on the cold side right now too, crop feels a bit like a water balloon with granules in it which may be food. Yesterday she was a little lethergic and has been worse today, I don't think her behaviour was different before then, All the other birds are completely fine. Regular food is layers pellets. Housing is an Eglu with sawdust in the nest box, newspaper under the perching bars. Haven't seen any poop yet So far she's been brought inside and offered water but has been reluctant to drink.
Vet visit is something I'm willing to do, being in the UK I don't have access to a lot of the items people use in the US.

Thanks in advance for any advice

She does have a bit of a smell about her, not the usual chicken/poop smell

We've got 2 of the same commercial breed and one laid yesterday, but not sure which one
The smell would be sour, like sour milk if it's sour crop.

I'm gonna tag in some other people who will be more help then what I can do.

The symptoms indicate something more serious than just sour crop. Very often sour crop develops due to a blockage that slows the crop function and then yeast colonizes the crop. You can treat the crop yeast with an anti-yeast med such as women's vaginal yeast cream, but you need to check a few other things to try to figure out where this is coming from.

Is she having a watery discharge from her vent? Are her butt feathers wet with the discharge? If so, is it white, yellow, clear?

When was the last time she laid an egg? Has there been any egg quality issues?

Has she ever been wormed? That is something to try. Worms can form a blockage in the intestines and cause the crop to back up.

She went downhill and didn't respond to more offers of water so we took her to the vets, turned out to be very late stage egg peritonitis, she had a lot of fluid in her abdomen and it wasn't a good prognosis so the vet had her put to sleep, poor little thing.

Definitely not an easy issue to spot, she wasn't doing the classic penguin stance at all, just lying down a lot. We'll be upping the amount of calcium available to the rest of the girls to try and prevent it happening again.
Thank you everyone who replied, I'll be taking your advice too to prevent any instances of sour crop!

Back
Top Bottom