Second Opinion on what killed our Guinea Hen?(GRAPHIC)

Ok. Im glad he's not heart broken either
It's to be expected when living out in the country.
I'm planning to put a roof over the run for extra security, but first gotta install a gate to access the run to add run litter.

I have the trap set with the Carcass inside it. If it were a coon, it should come back.

If the attack happened during the day it was a bird of prey. A racoon would have quite a challenge catching a Guinea in broad daylight
If the kill happened at night and the guineas are not locked inside a secure coop, then coon or owl was likely.
I'm thinking it was early in the morning. The carcass was cold, & stiff.

They have a free access door(Old Fashion) so there's no door too close on the chicken door. I will be installing Automatic Chicken doors once we move to my grandpa's place, which is also where I keep my birds.
20201031_150103.jpg

you'd notice if there was a hole in the fence if a coon got in whereas a hawk could swoop in and out without leaving a trace of how it got in..
No holes. There was a small cedar tree that was drooping over the fence, I think a coon could've used that to get in. I cut it down today.

A racoon could easily climb up one of those fence posts and down the same post on the inside.
If the coop is open all night there is no protection for any of the birds inside .
Yes I understand that. I didn't design the coops like this. My grandpa plans everything out. He's 87 years old.

Back
Top Bottom