Second roo in my flock?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MayFlowersbirds, Aug 10, 2017.

1. MayFlowersbirds

MayFlowersbirds In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2017
    View attachment 1106823 One of my Silkie pullets has recently shown himself to be a rooster and now I'm concerned that my Polish may be as well. It's starting to develop some redness in its lower comb which seems a bit early and my confirmed roo has been beating on it pretty hard in a way he doesn't do with the other littles. Can anyone tell if I have a second roo on my hands?!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Nope! Thats a pullet for sure! nothing to worry about. I've raised polishes all my life and pretty much guessed all of their genders right based off from their comb. And based off from Her comb its a pullet.

3. tacothechicken

tacothechicken Songster

Apr 2, 2015
    Anacortes WA
    My Coop
    Looks like a pullet for now, then again we once had a polish roo so sweet and small and who crowed so late on it was like 7 months before we relised he was male and weve had enough roosters to normally be able to identify by barely 2 months. Either way polish are good flyers and jumpers and silkies arent. as long as you have plenty of space to perch and run that polish should be able to handle itself whith minimal issues

4. MayFlowersbirds

MayFlowersbirds In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2017
    Awesome! Thanks so much! I figured there was a good chance that he's just bugging her because she's a little older and closer to maturity than the other little.

5. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! And Nuts For Horses!

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Yes that looks like a pullet.

6. Katlyn_Herbst

Katlyn_Herbst In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2017
    I agree pullet.. Chickens are weird sometimes with how they look and sometimes can sometimes look a little like a rooster.. Heck when my one rooster got ate the one hen actually started crowing every morning lol but in your case that is definitely a pullet

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: