Second summer molt?

Ellyhutch

Songster
Dec 15, 2020
Hi there! My precious 14 month old Muscovy hen started what I thought was a standard summer molt in the beginning of June. She shed all of her chest feathers over about a week, then began losing back and tail feathers. She's now molting her first and second row of wing feathers. A couple of days ago she started molting her chest feathers again, oddly. Is this something I should be worried about? She hasn't laid an egg in about 6 weeks, but I knew that was typical during a molt.

Another question, some of her wing feathers are growing back in white or white and brown, where before they have always been pure chocolate brown. Additionally, she's growing a much more significant large and red caruncle, where before it has always been small and peachy.

My baby could just be growing, but I wanted to make sure the second chest molt is okay.

Hi there! My precious 14 month old Muscovy hen started what I thought was a standard summer molt in the beginning of June. She shed all of her chest feathers over about a week, then began losing back and tail feathers. She's now molting her first and second row of wing feathers. A couple of days ago she started molting her chest feathers again, oddly. Is this something I should be worried about? She hasn't laid an egg in about 6 weeks, but I knew that was typical during a molt.

Another question, some of her wing feathers are growing back in white or white and brown, where before they have always been pure chocolate brown. Additionally, she's growing a much more significant large and red caruncle, where before it has always been small and peachy.

My baby could just be growing, but I wanted to make sure the second chest molt is okay.
Can you post a pic? Muscovies tend to molt a few times before final adult growth (past juvenile stage). But, once the 2nd yr rolls around, they molt once a yr. The females tend to pull feathers from their breast area while broody or nesting. My chocolates get lighter during the summer, they molt end of summer/beginning of fall, and their colors come back. The colors of muscovy can change, but I think their pattern is solid in that 2nd yr. Caruncles will get bigger as they age, but won't grow much more than what it looks like around 2. Muscovies definitely are an interesting duck.!

Back
Top Bottom