second time around.... will it work outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jkm, May 22, 2007.

1. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    so last batch of BYC turned out to be roos, my new ones are arriving thursday.
    I live in Oregon day temps in the 60-70- nights 50.
    I want to put my new girls in the coop, I will put tarp across the bottom for no draft, turn the heat lamp on and plenty of straw.
    Will it work? this is my last chance at Buff ORP chicks,
    am a bit discouraged...
    [​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Well, I don't see why it wouldn't work. [​IMG] I brooded chicks in the garage in late February in South Texas when temps occasionally dropped down into the low 40's. As long as your coop is secure (close up the run so they can't get out and nothing can get in) and the draft protection is there it should be a fine set up. How many chicks are you going for this time? Another three or is is to be more? You might want to put down paper towels for the first three days so they have an easier time finding their footing and their food. Don't be too discouraged!! You did a fine job with the last three. They were beautiful birds. [​IMG] Don't forget to post pics!! Buff orps---I'm jealous.[​IMG]

3. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Hi JKM,
    I was feeling a bit like you. 3 out of 6 roosters in the backyard! I'm not sure about your new "gals" so tiny being out at night but I got in touch with a guy out in Boring who has a variety of 6 week old chicks that can go right out to the coop for sure if you are interested. Today he fixed all my chicken problems. Took the roosters, brought me new girls [​IMG]

4. jkm

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    thnaks for the support, will have no drafts, and be in just the wooden section until older, will try 4-5 this time and hope for better odds, I will post pics much sooner on BYC for opinins, the roos will go sooner!
    I will talk to the Boring man if my feed store fails me again, have been waitning for buffs for a month, and a week this time.

cheers sun is shining in oregon

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  5. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Good luck to you! I love my buff orps!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kristyne

6. jkm

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    well I started a new thread, but the new girls are here !
    were in the garage for five hours to get over travel shock, and then I dropped the water in the box, sigh....
    now in coop with tarp over the front, staw, heat lamp water and food. and thermometer so i can check on them at night.
    only one keeps crying to come sleep next to my pillow!
    I like these buffs, they make eye contact and move toward me, already cool about dogs and cats at eye level and they are really only a day or so old, could stand on a half dollar.
    its warm in Oregon for may, hope it last the crucial first week.
    see othe post for pic
    cheers

7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    How did you end up with all roosters?

8. jkm

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    random draw form hen boxes,
    I think hatcheries come in different grades, and my feed store uses a super cheap one, more mark up, so the people sexing are poorly paid, they tell the feedstore right up front that the boxes will not contain all girls.
    I have learned a lot about chcickens in ten weeks,

if i had a farmI would only order from Mcmcurrays, they seem to be the top of the line, you do get what you pay for in thsi world.

they did ok last night, temp on thermometer was 75 this am, I will adjust it an inch tonight,
    the trick is not to set the staw on fire!!!

cheeers

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No hatchery can pick out only girls but usually have a 90-95% accuracy though. Maybe they accidently sent out straight run chicks. Thoes are cheaper usually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by