Second Time Hatching — shipped & backyard eggs

Pics
Not sure if the eggs are a bust or not. I don’t know how long they went in temps around 105F & 97F. Today is day 3 for them and I don’t know if I want I want to candle or just wait a few more days.

Not sure if the eggs are a bust or not. I don’t know how long they went in temps around 105F & 97F. Today is day 3 for them and I don’t know if I want I want to candle or just wait a few more days.

Hopefully the temperature fluctuations weren't too long and your hatch will be ok. Fingers crossed!

fingers crossed. I have seen first signs of life in my bantam eggs at 3 days but they are white and develop a bit faster. Also even if you do see signs they might still suffer ill effects, give them 2 days and check then to get a good idea.

Ps just out of curiosity and if you don't mind. I am curious how big the ventilation holes are on both yours so I can judge how big to make my ventilation hole.

3 out of 4 of the cochin eggs have development in it that I could see. I think the welsummer does, but the speckles on the shell made it hard to tell. Same with the olive egger one; couldn’t tell. Didn’t see anything in the light brown leghorn egg, so I’m fairly certain it isn’t fertile at all. With a white egg like that, I should’ve been able to see something. There was development in the BA egg. So, 4 shipped eggs with definite development, 2 inconclusive and 2 with likely nothing going on out of the 8 shipped eggs.

I will tag along in this thread if you don't mind. I'm at day 12 in first incubator. Second one was meant to be finished today but my heater is far too weak. I decided to try a ptc heater for the first time and bought one only to discover they seem to be rated much higher than their actual performance. My 15w ptc heater ended up drawing 5 watts and was able to raise the incubator by 1 degree lol. Wish I had known, still taking a risk but I have ordered an 80watt ptc heater and I am hoping it will be roughly 16 watts. If anyone knows anything about ptc heaters or why I am ending up guessing what I am buying that would be great. If it is too strong it will blow my transformer so fingers crossed it is right. My eggs have been ordered so clock is ticking now.

Off topic, but how long after cockerels first mounting a pullet will she start laying? I’m sure you’ve seen me mentioning Daria and how she’s 38 weeks old and hasn’t laid yet, but when I was down with the chickens today she got mounted for the first time by two different cockerels ( at different times, of course lol ). They haven’t payed any attention to her up until this point, so I’m definitely seeing this as another sign that she’s going to lay soon. I’m just wanting to get an idea of how soon. Someone has also been digging around in the nesting boxes for the past few weeks but I was never able to catch who it was. Also, I did do a pelvic check on her and her points are finally wider than two fingers.

Attachments

• 64EDF15E-D2E8-4AE2-9649-CF7D67480793.jpeg
    64EDF15E-D2E8-4AE2-9649-CF7D67480793.jpeg
    518.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 72EE1153-46C5-40A2-AC3E-A340C6D5E2A4.jpeg
    72EE1153-46C5-40A2-AC3E-A340C6D5E2A4.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 2
Off topic, but how long after cockerels first mounting a pullet will she start laying? I’m sure you’ve seen me mentioning Daria and how she’s 38 weeks old and hasn’t laid yet, but when I was down with the chickens today she got mounted for the first time by two different cockerels ( at different times, of course lol ). They haven’t payed any attention to her up until this point, so I’m definitely seeing this as another sign that she’s going to lay soon. I’m just wanting to get an idea of how soon. Someone has also been digging around in the nesting boxes for the past few weeks but I was never able to catch who it was. Also, I did do a pelvic check on her and her points are finally wider than two fingers.
Mounting/squatting...within a couple weeks.
Messing in the nest...within a few days.
All those signs sound good, but she's not real red....or is pic older?

Mounting/squatting...within a couple weeks.
Messing in the nest...within a few days.
All those signs sound good, but she's not real red....or is pic older?
Nah, this pic was taken today. She’s really confusing me....lol. She’s been this red for awhile now, the only change I’ve seen was the mounting and her pelvic points are now wider than two finger widths. I did have some other pullets that had taken a winter break and started back, but I didn’t think they would’ve dug around in the nesting box since they aren’t new to it.

Nah, this pic was taken today. She’s really confusing me....lol. She’s been this red for awhile now, the only change I’ve seen was the mounting and her pelvic points are now wider than two finger widths.
Well, I have had a couple birds that didn't get glaringly red and plump, they also had pea combs.

Back
Top Bottom