Second Time Hatching — shipped & backyard eggs

You seem very confident. I wish I had that. My humidity was down this morning and being day 7 I decided to candle one. It was a large dark spot like seeing a yolk inside. No veins. My wife said put it back and quit worrying.
Mmm, what color of shell? I know with dark brown eggshells, it can be real hard to see and a lot say to candle on day 10 for those. I could see veins and the heart beating in all of the eggs except for those two. So, I don’t know, really. It’s less confidence and more blind optimism?

Mmm, what color of shell? I know with dark brown eggshells, it can be real hard to see and a lot say to candle on day 10 for those. I could see veins and the heart beating in all of the eggs except for those two. So, I don’t know, really. It’s less confidence and more blind optimism?
😂 I can get down with blind optimism! It’s a medium-ish brown, milk chocolate colored shell. I’m very hopeful and probably should not have candled but curiosity got the best of me. It’s one of my BA eggs.

Sometimes that's all you've got!
Dark eggs may never be candleable.
I've had some BCM and OE eggs that I could barely see the air cell let alone any veins.
Oh, yeah, definitely couldn’t see the air cell in #21. Dark shell too. I think my problem is it started getting too bright in my room ( I tried to beat sunrise but didn’t quite win ). My dark brown eggs layers are my ISA browns. The rest lay light brown and white

Wally I would not trust in blind optimism. As long as you are 90% sure that your humidity and temperatures are in the correct range then you can hope for the best. I have 4 sensors to give me a bit of peace of mind - after that I know there is not much more I can do but I do candle - just to check for signs of life - after that I hope for the best. Candling is not that easy but try to find at least 1 egg that has some spider veins. If you find one, the others should look similar but if not then throw them away. If none have veins then either your temperature is off or your candler is not strong enough.

Your partner will have this opinion now but if an egg explodes on you she will have the exact opposite mindset the next time ;)

clucking I was going to ask where are all these chicks going? I am temped to incubate 24 eggs at the moment but I don't know what I'd do if they all turned into fully grown chickens

clucking I was going to ask where are all these chicks going? I am temped to incubate 24 eggs at the moment but I don't know what I'd do if they all turned into fully grown chickens
I have 3 people wanting 10 pullets each and a 4th wanting to buy whatever’s left. Some of the chicks are for me to keep, though ( the cochins & the assorted eggs if they turn out to be pullets ). I have two coops, so I’m not worried about space right now. The biggest one is a 15x12 and the second one that’s not in use yet is a 12x12.

😂 I can get down with blind optimism! It’s a medium-ish brown, milk chocolate colored shell. I’m very hopeful and probably should not have candled but curiosity got the best of me. It’s one of my BA eggs.
I’d give it maybe until day 12 and if you still can’t see anything, I’d probably call it. It sounds like it’s infertile, honestly. What kind of candler are you using?

Oh, yeah, definitely couldn’t see the air cell in #21. Dark shell too. I think my problem is it started getting too bright in my room ( I tried to beat sunrise but didn’t quite win ). My dark brown eggs layers are my ISA browns. The rest lay light brown and white
A dark room helps a TON.
I am lucky to have a windowless lavatory 10' from the bator, so I can candle any time of day.
I take 6 at a time in there.

I’d give it maybe until day 12 and if you still can’t see anything, I’d probably call it. It sounds like it’s infertile, honestly. What kind of candler are you using?
It’s the candler that came with the Farm Innovators 4250 incubator. It looks like a flashlight with its own power cord.

Back
Top Bottom