Second time's the charm!

karrotlady

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
Fairview, NC
Hi there!

We recently got chickens (again) and I'm so excited! We used to have chickens when we lived in Hendersonville, NC, but when we sold our house, the people who bought it actually put into the contract that they wanted to chickens to stay on the property. I was thrilled to hear that because 1) I knew that we couldn't take them with us as we were temporarily moving in with my parents until the right house came on the market, and 2) they had two little boys that wanted to help take care of them. We have now lived in Fairview, NC for almost 5 years, so it was time to get some chickens for our backyard! We found a lady on Craigslist who was selling her coop, attached run, food, waterer, feeder, and four (already laying!) hens for only $50 so we picked them up immediately. We got them settled at our house, gave them some food, water and some veggie scraps and we had three eggs an hour later!! Ever since then, we've averaged about 3-4 eggs a day. :)

I am so glad to have found BYC- it is such a great resource when it comes to answering my questions about our chickens!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on the new flock and coop!! Chickens sure are enjoyable to keep. What is life without chickens??
big_smile.png

Well, make yourself at home here. If you run into any situations or troubles or just want to share experiences, etc...feel free to dive into our forums!

Enjoy this great poultry adventure and welcome to our roost! :)

G’Day from down under karrotlady
frow.gif
Welcome & Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Loved your introduction, that certainly was a win, win situation for you. Maybe you should run out and buy some lotto tickets
gig.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Well, hello, and welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined us. Sounds like things fell into place at just the right time for you and your new flock.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! What a great community! :) Here are some pictures of my hens. Could anyone tell me what breed the yellow/buttercup one is please? I am pretty sure two of them are Rhode Island Reds (named Angel and Ruby) and the other is a Dominique (named Crenn, for Dominique Crenn, the chef). The buttercup one is aptly named Marigold. Marigold and Crenn are the most docile ones- they let us pet them and hold them. The RIR are typically more interested in the treats we bring.
Here are the four girls, pecking away at an apple on a dowel rod. :)

Also, we are wanting to do some kind of auto-waterer that does not involve connecting to a hose (thinking PVC pipe of some sort). Does anyone have any systems that are successful? I've been looking at buying these cups https://www.amazon.com/Beaktime-Chi...p&refinements=p_72:2661618011#customerReviews from Amazon but still are trying to figure out the best way to implement them. Thank you for your suggestions! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom