Securing hardware cloth

CindyGen

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
when you build a coop and you can only get HWC in 4' tall - how do you secure it where it has to be pieced or overlapped so a predator can't get in?

Thanks

I could only find 3 foot wide rolls and my run is just over 6 feet tall, so I cheated and ran a board around the middle. I secured both pieces to that with a pneumatic stapler, which added about 5" of additional height.

I don't have a great picture, but you can see the two boards running horizontally on either side.
IMG_20210331_145016.jpg

To attach pieces together I like "J" clips. They are also called cage clips. They are just under a half inch wide so work well for 1/2" hardware cloth. Special pliers are needed and both are inexpensive. The clips will far outlast cable ties.

To attach to the wooden structure I use a pneumatic stapler with 1/4" crown 1" long staples to hold the wire in place. I then go over those areas with 1xwhatever the width of the main wood is and screws. It keeps the staples from backing out over time or the wire from being easily broken at the staple points.

I bought 2 foot wide wire and will over lap it, run string through it all like weaving, and zip tie here and there. I have a metal frame so no stapling. And in my area Jclips are not commonly found.
I also don't have the predators being in suburbia like others....
I would jclip if you can find them or zip tie but use the thicker zip ties

Back
Top Bottom