Securing hardware cloth

The best way I found is as Chuckie Chicken described above. Attaching a 1X4, or 1X6 board horizontally around the run at the right level, to allow you to secure both courses of wire to the board will make a much stronger attachment. Additionally don't use zip ties, the sun will eventually cause them to deteriorate. If you don't want to use the board idea, over lap the wire 2" at the seam, then secure with small hog rings ever 12". They make special pliers for using with hog rings, but they are pretty cheap, and handy to have.

Last edited:
I try to have something to nail to, and then run trim boards over the seam, but in the places where that isn't practical, I use some of the millions of miles of used electric fence wire I have and weave the pieces together.

My large run is built with t posts so no boards to staple to (not sure what your case is). The bottom 3 feet is HC & the top 3 feet is welded wire, I used hog rings to attach the HC & the WW.

There is one spot where I had to move the fence a bit after the fact & I ended up 'sewing' the HC to the WW with wire thread & that worked super good - if I had known I might hat skipped the hog rings & just used wire thread for the whole thing. It was much easier than hog rings.

If you have it framed with wood (like I do in my little run) just staple it in place & cover the edges with furring strips or use screws & large washers.

Back
Top Bottom