Security Cameras

Cacique500

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Wanted to post this for anyone who was considering adding security cameras.

I went with wired LTS Security IP cameras (ran cat5 out to the coop when we ran electrical)...3mp w/IR, 4mm focal. They're connected into an 8TB NVR system.

In the night shots, there is no visible light..all the illumination is coming from the IR's on the cameras. Chickens don't seem to mind while they're sleeping (conflicting info on whether or not they can see IR wavelengths...but so far so good). The other good news is that the IR lights do not affect the operation of my ADOR1 with the light sensor. And it's very cool to be able to watch them on my phone when I'm not home!

Backyard Overview

Roost Cam

Ground Camera

Run Camera

Wow - that's pretty amazing! And your coop is really nice, looks extremely well designed.

I was talking with someone about a camera set-up like this but they discouraged me saying it cost "thousands of dollars". Is this a really expensive type set-up, or can it be done on a shoe string budget? How smart does a person have to be to get it all up and running?

Is this a really expensive type set-up, or can it be done on a shoe string budget? How smart does a person have to be to get it all up and running?

Total cost (including 3 other cameras not shown on the house and the 8TB NVR) with installation was $2800...but it can be done much cheaper. I wanted high end stuff and not the grainy, choppy motion you get from some of the low end stuff. The only thing that seemed tricky was opening up some ports on the router, for some reason he had to open 3 different ones.

Green with Envy!
Pan, tilt, and zoom?

Alas not PTZ...those cameras are REALLY pricey and I figured with where I have mine mounted I can see 99% of what's going on. The ground level camera does have audio though, so that's kinda fun to listen in on them. Is it wrong to eavesdrop on your chickens? Lol...

So, seven cameras in total for that amount? That seems pretty good and especially the quality of the photos is excellent. Thanks for sharing this, it gives me a lot to think of and I'm glad to know what is possible!

So, seven cameras in total for that amount? That seems pretty good and especially the quality of the photos is excellent. Thanks for sharing this, it gives me a lot to think of and I'm glad to know what is possible!
Yes...(6) 3MP bullet cams and (1) 3mp dome cam with audio (ground camera). The NVR can also be done much cheaper and it was about 1/5 of the total price...mine has 8 terrabytes of recording...so all 7 cameras can record full motion, full time recording in HD for over 30 days...think I went a little nuts with that much storage.

I travel for work so the big draw for me was to get the cameras installed to keep an eye on the house and to watch the girls when I'm away.

Here's a youtube of them coming out this morning into the run:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom