Security light

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
Hey folks, I've been watching the temps in my coop and it's about the same temperature as outside(HOT) so I have decided to cut another window into the wall of my coop....question is: That wall will get some light in from a security light in my backyard. Is that gonna be a problem with the chickens on the roost? Figured I would ask before I got the saw out tomorrow...

If you have to choose between ventilation and blocking light pollution, I’d say take ventilation every time. A little sleep disruption won’t kill birds and you can fix it later (a light block of some kind in front of the cutout) if it becomes a problem. But heat stroke is forever.
I've been running a fan at night in the window of the coop and it keeps it better than without it but I think it's best to cut another window for the times when I'm not here to put the fan in before their bedtime. They stay out free ranging all day and always find the coolest spot....usually where I spray down the ground :) but at night I'm sure it's hot for them without the fan as I noticed they have all moved to the side I have the window on in the back of the roost. I'm going to whack another hole so they will stay spread out more and everyone have their own window seat....lol

I've been running a fan at night in the window of the coop and it keeps it better than without it but I think it's best to cut another window for the times when I'm not here to put the fan in before their bedtime. They stay out free ranging all day and always find the coolest spot....usually where I spray down the ground :) but at night I'm sure it's hot for them without the fan as I noticed they have all moved to the side I have the window on in the back of the roost. I'm going to whack another hole so they will stay spread out more and everyone have their own window seat....lol
Sounds like a good plan.

Like bbread said, see if you can use the cutout to block some of the light.

Be careful with fans. They definitely help airflow, but chicken dust and dander are flammable. It’s good you’re moving it, but a barn proof, sealed motor unit is always a good idea for safety.

Sounds like a good plan.

Like bbread said, see if you can use the cutout to block some of the light.

Be careful with fans. They definitely help airflow, but chicken dust and dander are flammable. It’s good you’re moving it, but a barn proof, sealed motor unit is always a good idea for safety.
I have this one on the outside blowing into the coop...so it won't get clogged up with feathers. Also I have some black screen so maybe I'll put that over the hardware cloth to help with the ambient light?

Back
Top Bottom