Security light

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
Hey folks, I've been watching the temps in my coop and it's about the same temperature as outside(HOT) so I have decided to cut another window into the wall of my coop....question is: That wall will get some light in from a security light in my backyard. Is that gonna be a problem with the chickens on the roost? Figured I would ask before I got the saw out tomorrow...

This raises an interesting question. How much airflow does window screen block? I’ve spent the last 20 minutes researching and found answers from 50 to 80%. None totally reliable.

Still better than nothing. But I’d think a shade or solid block between the light and window (think “The Simpson” Mr Burns blocking out the sun
) would be preferable.
Interesting...Guess I could put the screen on the wall of my run between the light and the new window. I have a bunch so I could experiment with it to see what works.

Sounds like a good plan.

Like bbread said, see if you can use the cutout to block some of the light.

Be careful with fans. They definitely help airflow, but chicken dust and dander are flammable. It’s good you’re moving it, but a barn proof, sealed motor unit is always a good idea for safety.
I have this one on the outside blowing into the coop...so it won't get clogged up with feathers. Also I have some black screen so maybe I'll put that over the hardware cloth to help with the ambient light?

Yes...I bought an entire roll at a yard sale for a couple of bucks. Figure it would block a little bit of light since it's black over top of the hardware cloth.
It might, all you can do is try.
Will be a tossup between blocking light or ventilation.
Once you get the window cut in you'll have to observe and adjust.

Back
Top Bottom