Sedalia, MO poultry show on October 18th

well, i washed my bantam barred cochin and rep pyle pullet last night. that was an experience!!! my BF couldn't believe we had chickens in the house, in the sink, on the couch as i brushed them and then he had to hold them while i trimmed their nails.

i washed them with all-natural kitten flea shampoo, then rinsed in vinegar water. then applied vetrx to their combs/wattles. then trimmed nails/beaks, then let them dry in the brooder w/ heat lamp. after they dried, i brushed them.

what do you do?

We put 3 tubs outside with warm water in it. One with the soapy water, one for vinegar, one for plain to rinse good. The soapy water we use joy soap because it cuts the greasy gunk on them. If the plainly have bugs on them, I use the sargents flea and tick shampoo instead. then wash them good, one of us holds them secure and the other uses a flat sponge to wash the wings etc. (I usually get that job since I am not afraid to wash their bum!!!
big_smile.png
Then we put them down in the vinegar water to rinse and right into the clear water to rinse good. If you don't and your peeps are in the sun, the vinegar residu bleaches out their feathers. (found this out the hard way!)

If it is warm outside, we put them in the pen on our front drive and let the sun dry them, this time we will bring them in the house and in the brooder to dry or blow dry them. It is going to be an experience this time since we have to do it in the house! LOL
lau.gif

Quote:
I'm kind of mad and kind of glad......I think my Salmon Faverole is going broody on me. My daughter is planning on showing her and I know they take off points for them being broody. GRRRR
he.gif
She has a bright red comb and wattles and her whole face is red(must be embarrassed or having PMS LOL
lau.gif
) She is bunched down a lot in the hutch and does not want to come out. Just thougth I would put that out there to sway you into coming to Sedalia. LOL
gig.gif
hugs.gif
lau.gif

Edited to tell you why I am glad and mad

Last edited by a moderator:
IM SO NERVOUS!!
ive washed my two smooth feathered birds (i'm washing my barred cochin again tonight, this time with super whitening shampoo) and i'm going to start getting everything ready for the trip tomorrow. i'm also going to wash all the silkies i'm selling (except the babies). then on friday i have class till noon, then an hour drive home, wash/dry show silkies, get everything ready and HIT THE ROAD!!
woot.gif

Last edited:
I too am excited and of course it is now RAINING! GRRRR We are going to have to put the feathered footed girls and guys in a cage so they don't get muddy! OH well so it goes.

I let our call ducks play in the bathtub last night to get themselves really clean. ICKY the water was dirty green! We will actually Wash them tonight. What do you use for the white silkies to get them super white?

Guys have fun at the show and make sure you meet some people. There are quite a few great breeders who usually frequent that show. Jim Miller should be there with his moderns and maybe Forrest Beuford with his gorgeous Langshans sp? as well as John Hicks and all his colors of OEs. Usually alot of OE breeders there and a big class of wyandotte bantams. I wish I could go, but just can't swing it right now.

Let us know how you did and who else took home honors.

This show goes fast since it is coop out that same day right after showing and awards are finished. Almost too fast!!

it's been raining forever here too, i brought all my show birds in last sunday. i use horse whitening shampoo (QuicSilver) on the white birds and the barred cochin and regular shampoo on the others, but i'm thinking about getting blackening shampoo for my black silkies.

hmm, maybe i should wash my call ducks then, they're so hard to catch though!! and so loud once you do catch them!

AnS --

i'm taking my only OEGB pullet to show, maybe that guy can give me some tips.

i'm really excited about meeting other silkie people, i hope theres lots of nice people.

So how do they do the ones you are showing and selling. Do you post a sign on the ones you are selling or do you wait till the end or what?

JMajors - They will let you post something on the coop, but only after the show is complete. If the bird you want to sell does not go on to place higher then I would say you could post for sale on it after the judge is through that isle of birds. I would ask someone from the show on what they require before you put anything on the coop - you don't want the show people getting upset with you.​

Quote:
John Hicks, Charles Connor, Dale Postma, and a few others should be around to talk about OEGBs. There are others but names escape me. Did you say you had a red pyle hen? Bill Wulf the editor of the Poultry Press raises red pyle and has some very good ones.

In the silkies, there should be Lyn Dunsmuir, Gavin Livingston, Kim Cash, Clifford Pitts, Barb Aerni (from Grand Island) that should be there, but others will probably be around. You will see some are easier to approach than others and hopefully someone can answer your questions.

Have Fun and take care,

Back
Top Bottom