Seed sack thingy emergency!!!Please help!!!

njurado

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
I saw in a prior post that someone had actually cut open the sac that the chickens have because her chicken ate straw and would not pass it. Well, unfortunately one of my girls has done the same thing. That thing is really distended. I need to relieve her of her discomfort and refuse to have her for dinner. Soooo, if anyone knows the post, if you could please repost the solution, or if you know of another, please help. I thank you so much for your help and time.

Nj:(

Thank you so much for your help!!! I will let you know how it goes...I was a vet tech for over a year and have assisted in all types of surgeries and done some sewing....Just dont want her to suffer....

Thanks again!!!

good luck
fl.gif

There is an important difference between crop impaction and crop stasis, which you may know from your background as a vet tech. . . also, the seed sack thingy is the crop.
wink.png

Doing crop surgery is pretty hard core action, and many complications can result from it if you're not careful. Have you tried forcing regurgitation (also quite unpleasant, but a bit less dangerous than cutting on an animal)? This can also help IF the material is able to pass back up the throat.

Is the crop just not emptying at night, or is is hard and distended/with distinct lumps of hay/grass/weeds? Is there a foul smell? Are there other symptoms? Are the droppings normal?

Have you tried forcing regurgitation (also quite unpleasant, but a bit less dangerous than cutting on an animal)? This can also help IF the material is able to pass back up the throat.

How do you do that?

I don't need to do it, but i don't want to have to track you down if i do need to do it in the future.
smile.png

That's one thing i haven't heard on here yet.​

Quote:
How do you do that?

I don't need to do it, but i don't want to have to track you down if i do need to do it in the future.
smile.png

That's one thing i haven't heard on here yet.

It is a NASTY process. I watched my vet do it last week.

It can also be dangerous for the bird, since you can a) cause injury to the crop, throat or neck; b) cause the bird to aspirate and possibly choke to death.

A couple of others here have done it. I'll see if I can find a good description.

Jenski is right, I've spent the last 10 days clearing an alfalfa- packed crop in an 11-month-old hen. There's lots to do before surgery.

Do you have access to a vet who treats chickens? I wish I did, it would heva been easier to have an intramuscular injection given in the breast, I'll see if I can find the post from yesterday.

Now, I used olive oil, apple cider vinegar (ACV) and a massage technique. Got the initial mass down in 24 hours by 1/2, within 48 hours down by 4/5. Last part of mass in base of crop took a *week*, and required intervention to compress the crop from the outside several times a day...waiting for Jenski to respond and I'll be back with the name of that drug.

Last edited:
Drug was probably Reglan, which helps initiate peristalsis (moves digestive muscles). Can be administered by injection (faster) or even orally if you must. You would have to get this from a vet, first being sure the mass is small enough to pass through the digestive tract.

I think that must have been it. I doubt I could get it without an office visit, and our clinic doesn't treat chickens. It would have been an excellent choice, the massage and break-up-the-mass is a tricky business and I may have experienced beginner's luck achieving it!
cool.png

Do you know if it can be ordered OTC anywhere?

Back
Top Bottom