Seedling Heating May for Nestboxes?

I haven't. A trick I've heard is, you down size on the nesting boxes to prevent freezing eggs. That way, all the hens are coming in and out warming the eggs as they lay their eggs.

As far as putting something warm in the nesting box, I'd be worried that the hens would never leave. They'd want to stay where it is warm.

I haven't. A trick I've heard is, you down size on the nesting boxes to prevent freezing eggs. That way, all the hens are coming in and out warming the eggs as they lay their eggs.

As far as putting something warm in the nesting box, I'd be worried that the hens would never leave. They'd want to stay where it is warm.
Lol, I thought about that too. I can just see all twelve girls crowding into one box! I just clicked the buy button, so think I’ll try it. Only one of my girls (my Speckled Sussex) is a cold weather hater. The rest of them prefer the cold (Brahmas, Cochins, Giants, BLRW… big fluffy girls!). I’ll post what happens.

Yes I did.
However, I wired the receptacles so they are switch controlled. I could use a thermocube but I prefer to control them myself.
They have prevented eggs from freezing in low teen weather...when the hens actually lay in the boxes instead of stashing one on the coop floor for me to find on a sub-zero morning. :rolleyes:

I've also noticed that one of my older hens has figured out she can warm her feet in there. I've noticed her on several occasions standing in a box preening for several minutes then coming back out. She is not currently laying.

Back
Top Bottom