Seeking advice about my lonely duckling and gosling -- Happy UPDATE

Lamar Estate

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hello--

Yesterday I had a duckling (Cayuga x Khaki Campbell-Cayuga mix) and gosling (Sebastopol) hatch. I'm thrilled. I love them dearly.

Unfortunately, their hatch mates didn't make it. A few of the duck eggs quit and one died in the shell on Saturday. One of the goose eggs was infertile and another one died in the shell yesterday. My incubators are now empty.

Now I have 2 lonely babies. The duckling has more energy than anything I've ever seen. He's bouncing off the walls. I know he's going to be trouble.
wink.png
The gosling is still pretty wobbly and not even drinking yet (SHOULD I BE WORRIED?).

I have them in separate brooders. Even though the gosling is 3 times larger than the duckling, I'm worried that the duckling running around and poking/nibbling at everything could hurt the gosling.

I know someone just asked the same question 3 days ago, but even after trying stuffed animals, feather dusters, fake fur, and mirrors, they are lonely. They constantly cry. What can I do? The closest Tractor Supply Store (Inver Grove Heights, MN) doesn't sell ducklings. I've looked on Craigslist and haven't found any ducklings or goslings that just hatched. If I order from a hatchery, wouldn't the new ones be in danger of the older one's larger size?

March 23, 2011 UPDATE:
Well, when I put them together, the duckling jumped on the gosling. The angry gosling gave him a good poke but they soon settled down to snuggle with each other. Sigh of relief.

The gosling is still crying a little bit, but at least it's not so bad that I did sleep for a few hours last night.

I have no idea what the duckling must be thinking. He's still very energetic, which is a good thing--he must quickly run to get out of the way of this drunk giant!

Also, the gosling finally started to drink water (and has started to eat) this morning. Now, if only I could get my three 19 day-old ducklings, drake, and 5 dogs to stop being jealous of the newborns!

Last edited:
I'd put them together. The gosling will be able to defend himself. And the duckling is most likely running around mad looking for someone to cuddle with and can hear the gosling. Just watch them closely for the first bit but I'd put them together if it was me.

Put a small mirror in the brooder. It gives your duck a "hatch mate". You can also tape a turkey feather duster to the side just high enough up so the duck can climb under it. We call this "the babysitter".

Back
Top Bottom