Seeking Dog Advise

We presently have a Great Pyrenees / Greater Swiss Mountain Dog mix - he's 8. We lost his big brother about 6 months ago at 12.5 years old. Our remaining dog, Titan, has absurd LGD traits that have shown up since he's been the only dog. So far - he's scared off raptors and coyotes. The issue is that he's lame. Both dogs had a run in protecting me from a black bear about 4 years ago, and Titan needed knee surgery after the fight. Now - anytime he runs full speed, he's not able to use that leg for a few days. I'd like to retire him to protect that leg and let him become the couch potato he deserves to be.

So - we are now on the hunt for a pup or two. So - a few questions:

1 - Will a pup learn how to scope out hawks from Titan or is that pure instinct?

2 - I'm looking for an Anatolian Shepard and/or Greater Swiss Mountain dog. I'm confident I can train them to guard and not attack the chickens. That's on me. But my wife REALLY wants a Great Dane. I know that they're short lived, and can be couch potatoes. But the original Dane's were guardians. Does anyone have Dane experience, and how were their prey drives and guarding capability.

My dogs are companion dogs - with me most of the time.They sleep inside, when the chickens are locked up But are outside with me most of the day - sleeping on the porch and whiting the chickens.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have found a great LGD training group on Facebook and they also have a breeder's group for breeders and those looking for LGDs. It is called Farai. They are in Maine (I am in NH too) and I have been in their groups for a few months now. I got a GP mix pup from a rescue in October and they've been a huge help. They may be able to answer some of your questions and point you in the right direction...

Best of luck!
Patty

Wanted to leave an update. I've found a breeder of working livestock guardians that breeds both Great Pyrenees and Anatolians. She also breeds crosses of the two, which I wanted. Litter due early March and I'll pick up the pup in May: provided there is a short coated male in the litter!
I'd love if you could share the breeder's contact info with me! I am looking to add another LGD in 3-6 months :)

Back
Top Bottom