Seeking Dog Advise

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
We presently have a Great Pyrenees / Greater Swiss Mountain Dog mix - he's 8. We lost his big brother about 6 months ago at 12.5 years old. Our remaining dog, Titan, has absurd LGD traits that have shown up since he's been the only dog. So far - he's scared off raptors and coyotes. The issue is that he's lame. Both dogs had a run in protecting me from a black bear about 4 years ago, and Titan needed knee surgery after the fight. Now - anytime he runs full speed, he's not able to use that leg for a few days. I'd like to retire him to protect that leg and let him become the couch potato he deserves to be.

So - we are now on the hunt for a pup or two. So - a few questions:

1 - Will a pup learn how to scope out hawks from Titan or is that pure instinct?

2 - I'm looking for an Anatolian Shepard and/or Greater Swiss Mountain dog. I'm confident I can train them to guard and not attack the chickens. That's on me. But my wife REALLY wants a Great Dane. I know that they're short lived, and can be couch potatoes. But the original Dane's were guardians. Does anyone have Dane experience, and how were their prey drives and guarding capability.

My dogs are companion dogs - with me most of the time.They sleep inside, when the chickens are locked up But are outside with me most of the day - sleeping on the porch and whiting the chickens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wife is on board?

She is! You all led me down a path to win the debate: We were broken hearted to lose our big guy last summer, and Dane's don't live long. And - to get good genes, they cost a lot . AND - I found a website that listed them as the most expensive cost to own - between food and vet bills. She's not 100% convinced we won't get a dane, but she's good with me getting a LGD first and letting Titan retire from LGD responsibility and protect his gimpy leg.

I would consider akbash and maremma too. Both just harder to find in the northeast.
If you are not interested in showing or breeding, relax on purity, and get a cross. You are using the dog as a pet as much as a guardian so ability to stay out with a free-ranging herd or flock is not what you are shooting for. Chicken people need not get hung up on breeder rep that only increases price without providing benefits. Only people that really benefit from that arrangement are the breeders.

You can get some mixed pups too, just not exactly what you have in mind. For your use I would use any cross involving an LGD or Burmese Mountain Dog to keep you in the comfort zone. You may have to do some looking and not be in too much of a hurry. I got some English Shepherd puppies young enough that you can program with all the bad behaviors you want yourself. They already have loads of bad habits, but I am sure you can program more. lol
I've found a litter of Pyrenees /Anatolian pups at a Pyr rescue. Now to convince the Mrs that the LGD should come before her Dane.

There are good and bad dogs, and good, bad, and excellent breeders, and breeding stock, in every breed out there. And mixed breeds will do what they do, with less information available about their genetic history.
I have met some awful Danes, and some very nice ones, and a very very few who lived into their teens. When they were popular, in the 70's, it was very bad!
Diligent searching will pay off, but it's not an easy breed...
Then again, managing an Anatolian isn't all that easy either!
I used to want one of the giants, but got over it, in part because of the typical short lifespan so typical, and now prefer the medium to large types instead.
With Danes, getting the dominant male puppy in the litter wouldn't be my choice...
Mary
I love the giant breeds. My boys were both about 125 lbs and true gentle giants. Unless the felt they needed to protect us. They fought off a bear in our garage and one of the two was always between me and the bear. But they'd also let toddlers climb all over them. I'd always had lab sized dogs prior, but I'm now a giant breed convert.

Back
Top Bottom