Seeking Dog Advise

My last guys were crosses and great dog that I got at 8 weeks and I'd consider it again. But I really want pups or very young. Just easier to train - my kids all have rescues and every one of their dogs had some issues that needed to be addressed - socialization, anxiety etc before solid training can advance. I'm not saying it can't work - just something I'd prefer not to deal with.
You can get some mixed pups too, just not exactly what you have in mind. For your use I would use any cross involving an LGD or Burmese Mountain Dog to keep you in the comfort zone. You may have to do some looking and not be in too much of a hurry. I got some English Shepherd puppies young enough that you can program with all the bad behaviors you want yourself. They already have loads of bad habits, but I am sure you can program more. lol

Puppies can be a pain to raise, especially in winter weather, but it's true that rescues all arrive with issues that must be addressed. Some are easy, and some much more difficult.
After having four rescues in a row, my next might be a puppy, but we'll see.
Mary
Agree - housebreaking is much tougher in winter. It takes so much longer for the human to get ready for the cold. The pups could care less.

You can get some mixed pups too, just not exactly what you have in mind. For your use I would use any cross involving an LGD or Burmese Mountain Dog to keep you in the comfort zone. You may have to do some looking and not be in too much of a hurry. I got some English Shepherd puppies young enough that you can program with all the bad behaviors you want yourself. They already have loads of bad habits, but I am sure you can program more. lol
I've found a litter of Pyrenees /Anatolian pups at a Pyr rescue. Now to convince the Mrs that the LGD should come before her Dane.

I've found a litter of Pyrenees /Anatolian pups at a Pyr rescue. Now to convince the Mrs that the LGD should come before her Dane.
You need to get that pup before it is gone. You can always find a Dane from a breeder somewhere. And the Dane puppy will benefit from having an OLDER dog to learn from. Tell the wife that since you are retiring your LGD to house-dog status, you really don't want another house dog right now.

I think Danes could make fine farm dogs. But actual guardian dogs? Probably not. But if your chickens are totally secure and they’re sleeping with you anyway.... do they need to be total guardians? probably not.

what I’ve learned about LGDs is how instinctual their behavior is. So much of that has been bred out of dogs that were once guardians.

I’m on the waiting list for a karakachan from a breeder with imported lines and is a real true guardian dog, but I myself have been wondering if I really just need a mountain dog. My cavalier King Charles and aussie go CRAZY for large flying birds... and hawks are all I’m really hoping to deter. thinking that that aspect ... barking at the aerial intruders.... could be a fairly learned behavior.

there’s an unbelievable Anatolian shepherd or kangal breeder near you, I think she is in VT. I’m going to look it up and send it to you.

I like many of the same breeds, but I think every one of those mentioned are on the tough insure list. Sad - because it's rarely the dog's fault.
It is sad. The Cane Corsos I've known were beautiful gentlemen, and I have never met a mean Rottie once, my girl was a creampuff! Chihuahuas however, I know a few nasty ones. That list is a bit old, from 2014 so may not be accurate, plus Boxers and Boerbels were not on it lol. I totally agree with you on Great Danes, I have never gotten one due to their sadly very short lifespans, so one of the larger Sennenhunds would be a good choice if you could find them up here.

Back
Top Bottom