Seeking Dog Advise

There are good and bad dogs, and good, bad, and excellent breeders, and breeding stock, in every breed out there. And mixed breeds will do what they do, with less information available about their genetic history.
I have met some awful Danes, and some very nice ones, and a very very few who lived into their teens. When they were popular, in the 70's, it was very bad!
Diligent searching will pay off, but it's not an easy breed...
Then again, managing an Anatolian isn't all that easy either!
I used to want one of the giants, but got over it, in part because of the typical short lifespan so typical, and now prefer the medium to large types instead.
With Danes, getting the dominant male puppy in the litter wouldn't be my choice...
Mary

I'm sorry for your loss. It's always tough.
How is your mastiff around the chicks? My wife's coworker is a breeder, and the pups are so cute. I might be able to sway her opinion!
Our last Mastiff didn't pay any attention to the birds, because that's how I wanted it. He never killed a bird in his life. Our puppy is only 4 months old and everything is a toy. She has sit quietly in the pen while I'm feeding birds and hasn't chased them. I've never trained dogs to guard chickens, but I don't think it'd be too hard for them either. I just can't get over how smart they are. I also have a 3/4 Pyrenees 1/4 Mastiff mix dog who just turned 1 last week. She's been harder to train to leave the birds alone but is really improving, I (and everyone else) think she's an amazing dog, and already guards the house all night.

There are good and bad dogs, and good, bad, and excellent breeders, and breeding stock, in every breed out there. And mixed breeds will do what they do, with less information available about their genetic history.
I have met some awful Danes, and some very nice ones, and a very very few who lived into their teens. When they were popular, in the 70's, it was very bad!
Diligent searching will pay off, but it's not an easy breed...
Then again, managing an Anatolian isn't all that easy either!
I used to want one of the giants, but got over it, in part because of the typical short lifespan so typical, and now prefer the medium to large types instead.
With Danes, getting the dominant male puppy in the litter wouldn't be my choice...
Mary
I love the giant breeds. My boys were both about 125 lbs and true gentle giants. Unless the felt they needed to protect us. They fought off a bear in our garage and one of the two was always between me and the bear. But they'd also let toddlers climb all over them. I'd always had lab sized dogs prior, but I'm now a giant breed convert.

Years ago we adopted a stray injured Mastiff bitch, a younger girl who must have been 'pet shop quality' and never indoors.
I loved her, 'warts' and all, but she did have temperament issues that we managed at the time, but couldn't have lived with at other times. She did live short, too.
Raising the right puppy is a totally different proposition, fortunately.
She shot water easily six feet in every direction when drinking, and she didn't have the typical extremely heavy jowls that is more typical.
Mary

For what its worth, I love the big molosser breeds as well. I will always love Rottweilers, for me one of the best breeds out there and will always have a spot in my heart. Bullmastiffs are also amazing and not prone to drooling as Mastiffs are. My big Boxer is also phenomenal, but having a brachycephalic face means drool and snoring lol. But he is awesome and for a 70lb dog leaps amazing heights and distances, and Boxers remain that way well into old age. German Boxers retain the broad work dog shape that has been bred out of American and British lines. Lol I can go on and on, Cane Corsos and Boerbels are certainly on my breed to get list.

Back
Top Bottom