Seeking Dog Advise

I think Danes could make fine farm dogs. But actual guardian dogs? Probably not. But if your chickens are totally secure and they’re sleeping with you anyway.... do they need to be total guardians? probably not.

what I’ve learned about LGDs is how instinctual their behavior is. So much of that has been bred out of dogs that were once guardians.

I’m on the waiting list for a karakachan from a breeder with imported lines and is a real true guardian dog, but I myself have been wondering if I really just need a mountain dog. My cavalier King Charles and aussie go CRAZY for large flying birds... and hawks are all I’m really hoping to deter. thinking that that aspect ... barking at the aerial intruders.... could be a fairly learned behavior.

there’s an unbelievable Anatolian shepherd or kangal breeder near you, I think she is in VT. I’m going to look it up and send it to you.
Thanks - I haven't found a breeder through the AKC website anywhere nearby so please do.
The karakatchen is a Russian bear dog- right? Local fish and game use them to push habituated bear off into the woods. I think they borrow them from Maine.
I used to turn them out at night when we had bear seeing off the motion sensors. But I'd only do that with 2 dogs.

It is sad. The Cane Corsos I've known were beautiful gentlemen, and I have never met a mean Rottie once, my girl was a creampuff! Chihuahuas however, I know a few nasty ones. That list is a bit old, from 2014 so may not be accurate, plus Boxers and Boerbels were not on it lol. I totally agree with you on Great Danes, I have never gotten one due to their sadly very short lifespans, so one of the larger Sennenhunds would be a good choice if you could find them up here.
I agree. My brother in law had a big rotti- sweetest boy ever. I love Swissys and have been in touch with a few breeders. Most quality breeders around here have pretty long waitlists.

Wanted to leave an update. I've found a breeder of working livestock guardians that breeds both Great Pyrenees and Anatolians. She also breeds crosses of the two, which I wanted. Litter due early March and I'll pick up the pup in May: provided there is a short coated male in the litter!
Wife is on board?

Wife is on board?

She is! You all led me down a path to win the debate: We were broken hearted to lose our big guy last summer, and Dane's don't live long. And - to get good genes, they cost a lot . AND - I found a website that listed them as the most expensive cost to own - between food and vet bills. She's not 100% convinced we won't get a dane, but she's good with me getting a LGD first and letting Titan retire from LGD responsibility and protect his gimpy leg.

The only thing that I would tell you is that a lot of our dog breeds do not have as much instinct anymore to work in what they were originally breed to do. Unfortunately, AKC conformation has produced really pretty dogs, but sometimes at the expense of them not having the instinct to do the job they were created for. I have AKC Shelties. Shelties still have some herding instinct, but for the majority it is nowhere near the level it would need to be to work a flock of sheep regularly. If I wanted a dog for herding, I would get a border collie and It would be from working lines Not AKC. I’m thinking a Great Dane would probably not workout as a livestock protector.

Back
Top Bottom