Seeking help for a duck with an injured wing

Dm3223

Chirping
Oct 6, 2021
Hey there! new here, so sorry if this has been posted, I just couldn’t find any answers for what I was looking for.

my Indian runner duck got scared of a leaf dropping down the other day and jumped into our pond and when he came out his wing seemed to be injured.

I have felt around for breaks and didn’t see or feel any so I was thinking it might be a muscle injury or something. He also doesn’t seem like he is in pain, just when he starts flapping his wings one of them won’t fully raise up and you can tell it’s irritating him.

Any recommendations? Maybe because it’s a muscle do you think it might just heal on its own with time? I figured taping would only be handy if it’s a break.
I know I could get x rays but unfortunately our vet where we live doesn’t treat ducks

thanks for the help :)

:welcome Is the wing drooping? usually, an injury unless broken will heal on it's own. Sometimes even breaks without intervention depending on where broken and if the wing is dragging the ground, then there needs to be a wrap done. Hopefully this is just a sprain or bruising and will heal fine. Just keep an eye on him.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for that advice Lydia that’s good to hear :) will def keep an eye on him.
Tundra I will post a photo in the eve but his wing is sitting fairly normal on his back just slightly not as crossed as usual

Cool, thanks for that advice Lydia that’s good to hear :) will def keep an eye on him.
Tundra I will post a photo in the eve but his wing is sitting fairly normal on his back just slightly not as crossed as usual
Okay, if it's sitting normally it's probably just a sprain like Lydia said. Maybe check the skin and see if it's bruised. I know chicken bruising is bright green but I'm not sure if it's the same for ducks. I hope he gets better!

Back
Top Bottom