Seeking lavender Orpingtons-- can anyone help?

patienceprudencecharity

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Butler County, Ohio
I'm hunting for lavender Orpingtons-- smallish birds would be just fine.
Love the docile nature of Orps and the soft lavender color.

Thanks for any replies.
smile.png
I'm in Ohio, by the way.

Nancy

The only people I know with lavs are Hinkjc and wilds of pa. They're still working on them, I do not know if they're selling any yet. They're in PA. Pm them.

Nancy -

We will not be selling any (LF)Lavenders at this time.
Noticed you emailed us. Sent you a reply.

Jody & Charlie (hinkjc) has an auction right now on eggbid.com

Jim & Kaye

We're working on them, but they are still very much a project. I do believe after this spring's culling, we will have a couple nice lavender orpington flocks going. At this time we're offering some random eggs from our project pens, although you will still need to select for breed type. You can check out some pics and updates about our project on our web site.

Lavender is a new color orpington here in the states, so you aren't going to find any lavender orpingtons yet. Creating a new color bird can take years to perfect. You can get a bird with the lavender gene and the best black orpingtons you can and then work on the project from there.
smile.png
You can get lavender Ameraucanas at this time, and some other breeds come in lavender/self blue.
smile.png

Last edited:
Jody, I find your Lavender Orpington Project to be a great success from the looks of the birds I am seeing coming out of your stock. At this rate it won't be long before you have a successful lav orp breeding program and can drop the "project" from your title when refering to them.

I would love to see some of those birds out in my field pecking and scratching around with a full bottom tilted up to sunshine looking like a lady in pantaloons. LOL

Do you think if I pulled a couple eye teeth and put them under my pillow the tooth fairy would bring me some of those split black eggs?
lol.png

Lavender(self blue) is not a new color and has been here for some time in the USA, its in the APA book of standards as well as the ABA book of standards.

However with that said, we have the closest thing to lavender Orps now already and when our chicks grow out, your gonna see one big flock here of them out ranging in pictures in the pasture as unseen anywhere else in the usa.
celebrate.gif

Here's a pic of the grandfather(Lester) to our chicks.
The chicks for the most part are big and plump as all orpingtons should be.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words..
100_6213.jpg

100_6200.jpg

100_6329.jpg

as with all breeds, they will be a work in progress to perfect them. perfection is not a set and forget process.
frow.gif

enjoy
Charlie

Last edited:
The light grey is blue. My BigRed is the result of a blue x buff. He is flaming red. Tuffoldhen has some of the same cross he came from and her result is the 'light grey' coloration you describe with buff eventually bleeding through. If you look around on some of the blue orp threads you'll find lots of photos of the blue x buff offspring. The blue genes are not the same as the lav genes.

Beautiful bird, Charlie and Jody.

I know that the blue and lavender genes are different, I just know the light blue coloring can be similar in looks if that color is what your looking for rather than a rare breed in particular.

I am suprised to see you got a red out of a blue and buff though Miss Prissy! My mixed have all turned out variations of greys, although my roo did turn out very dark blue with bright orange wings, the contrast is pretty neat.

Back
Top Bottom