Seeking Light Colored Tolbunt Hen

LisasArk

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 2, 2008
I picked up a nice Tolbunt Roo from a lady last night and he is quite dark. I was advised to pair him with a light colored Tolbunt hen. How can I find a light colored hen?
smile.png

Thanks,

YES Tolbunt Polish!
smile.png
Thanks as I've already tried there - I recently joined the breeders club. I contacted someone who said they have a Tolbunt hen so they may have some eggs for me in a couple weeks. I have a broody hen but no incubator yet. So I'm on the look-out for an incubator for now.

I was hoping to find someone particularly with a LIGHT colored hen as the breeder explained I needed a light colored hen for the colors to work out right with this very dark Tolbunt roo I have. I was told that Tolbunt was not a color but a breed but now I'm not sure???

Tolbunt is a color, it's pretty much a gold laced with white mottling. The breeder you got him from didn't have any light hens?

I'd love to see a pic of him
smile.png

I'll get pictures later today and post for you. He's VERY dark and she said a light hen would allow there to be a mix produced of normal Tolbunt color tones. I can't wait to get a female for him. I've heard that there is a problem with the Tolbunts in this Country having genetic issues - heard anything about that? I am hoping to sell and ship eggs to people to help diversify the gene pool of the Tolbunts. I have a critter rescue so any $$ I make on eggs would go to the rescue to feed the critters.

it'll be interesting to see if you have the new type tollbunt or the old type. Tollbunts have a lot of genetic issues, among them are: too many male offspring (example 5-10 roos per pullet), crooked tail, crooked crest, crooked toes, crooked breastbone, bad combs, split beaks, poor vitality, poor fertility. Almost all the Tollbunts in the U.S. are related to one another, some lines have had outcrosses added to them to try and make them stronger. Its the severe inbreeding that has lead to many of these problems. Lots of folks got them, then didn't do much with them and got rid of them, so then there was a very small gene pool to build back up from. This has happened twice on a great scale. That's why they've got so many problems. The outcrossing has resulted in somewhat of a change of their coloring as well. Spangled Orloff and Gold Lace Polish were common outcrosses, and I'm sure others have been tried.

How do I add pictures?

He is VERY dark with some iridescent feathers and if you look hard you see some brownish colored feathers too. I thought he was a standard but looking at him he appears to be a bantam as he's no bigger than the blue bantam roo I just got got at the same time. I'll have to ask the lady he came from.

I confirmed with the prior owner that he is indeed standard size and not bantam - she said he is small in size due to the inbreeding of the Tolbunts.

Alright I think I have the info. to upload these pictures:
15259_tolbunt3.jpg
[/img]
15259_tolbunt2.jpg
[/img]
15259_tolbunt1.jpg
[/img]

Back
Top Bottom