Seeking Medical advice

They are doing better with garlic,apple cider vinegar,but was recommended by a friend who had the same symptoms in his flock and used Tylan 200,decided to buy some but was reading in instructions and it is used for respiratory problems in swine and cattle can it be used in chickens?I think I got the injection type,can it be fed to them in water if I can use it for chickens,it also says 1 milliliter for every 25 pounds I dont think any chicken is close to weighting that much :/ ,I also talked to previous owner and said that a lot of chickens get this and that it is a parasite in the stomach of chicken and that he also used tylan 200.Only one that seems really healthy in my flock is my rooster even though he is around everyone,3 5 month old chickens are doing good except 2,my 4 week chickens are doing fine,and only 2 hens are doing good,I have 18 all together so 9 are doing bad
No it should not be fed in their water.
You need to direct dose each bird straight to the beak no less than twice a day with it. Three times is better.
Dose here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...iseases-with-tylan-200.1241683/#post-19926142

Last edited:
They are doing better with garlic,apple cider vinegar,but was recommended by a friend who had the same symptoms in his flock and used Tylan 200,decided to buy some but was reading in instructions and it is used for respiratory problems in swine and cattle can it be used in chickens?I think I got the injection type,can it be fed to them in water if I can use it for chickens,it also says 1 milliliter for every 25 pounds I dont think any chicken is close to weighting that much :/ ,I also talked to previous owner and said that a lot of chickens get this and that it is a parasite in the stomach of chicken and that he also used tylan 200.Only one that seems really healthy in my flock is my rooster even though he is around everyone,3 5 month old chickens are doing good except 2,my 4 week chickens are doing fine,and only 2 hens are doing good,I have 18 all together so 9 are doing bad
You can find the soluble version for birds online (Ebay but it comes from Ukraine and it can take over 10 days) search Tylan for birds, there is also the generic called Tylosin. A chicken lady in town gave the hint ;-) good luck.

why not in water?it seems the easiest way to do it?during shipping,the chickens will be dead or worst than they are
Because you can't control how much water each chick drinks and you won't know how much medicine they are taking in.

why not in water?it seems the easiest way to do it?during shipping,the chickens will be dead or worst than they are
Something is confusing here. I think you can use the tylon you already have, just not in the dose for animals. I didn't read it, but I was hoping TexasKiki's article post led you to the proper dosage. You just need a syringe or dropper that will measure out the proper dose and then give it to your chickens that way. I have had to give a chicken water with a dropper before and it was pretty easy. I dropped it on the tip of her beak and she took it in. Someone else may have a better way.

Two weeks later,1 bottle of apple cider vinegar,one bottle of VetRx,a few garlics and a small bag of oregano and a bottle of baytril and a small bag of lime that I put in ground to disinfect area my chickens are finally healing!!my two sickest ones that didnt even move anymore were totally full with food after trying out baytril!!!something they hadn't done in a few days,one had her eyes swollen now they are not swollen.,the only death I had was the one that brought the disease in because the medicine wasn't taking effect on her so we put her down to end her suffering,my rooster,and two young roosters and the 4 chicks were the ones that never got sick,after talking to the man I got my rooster from,he committed the same mistake I did in the past when the rooster was young and ended up bringing a disease that infected him,he never showed any signs of the disease while my hens were suffering,was it because it was the same disease and he got immune to it,he never got my hens sick for the 1 year I have had him,I was reading and some diseases show themselves when temperatures suddenly change outside,it makes sense because they had the sick chicken inside with warm temps and when I bought it I put it outside where it was cooler that's when I noticed the symptoms,while I bought the rooster from a person that lets his chickens free range ,he is 30 minutes away from me so not really a temp change,I also can explain why the 4 chicks never got sick,they have no contact to the chickens outside of the little box I have them in but I'm still puzzled why the 2 young roosters never got sick when they are in same coop with old chickens.

I don't think bringing new birds in is necessarily that bad. However, this does highlight why quarentine is so important for new birds. It is a pain but totally worth it. I got advice from a friend who has raised chickens for 10 years. She never used medicated feed or vaccines yet has never had a sick chicken. Supplemental herbs and 1 tablespoon of ACV (with the mother) every other gallon of water they drink. Just be sure not to use metal for the waterter. ACV corrodes metal. I use the scratch and peck brand of mixed herbs. Heck if you can make them an herb garden with chicken wire domed over the top so they don't kill the plants and they have fresh herb on demand. I know our won't help now but it might help avoid extra problems in the future. How are they doing now?? Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom