Seeking to create a new line of Orange-Partridge Wyandottes

Partridge is a kind of double lacing with the partridge gene yes...
Just so you know and can reference it, the wildtype color is "duckwing" and the welsummer color is "red duckwing" the reason it has an orange red hackle and other orange red parts that would be gold on a regular wild type gold duckwing chicken, caused by the mahogany gene.
Thank you Americanas4Real. It’s clearly a complex issue, and one that I am struggling to get a handle on.
I considered starting my flock with Wheaten Marans principally because I like the rooster colour. In that breed the rooster has a black breast which I assume are not sex feathers yet the female has a completely different coloured breast. I’m hoping that I can retain the “Duckwing” male line and at the same time the yellow-orange base colour on the hens along with the black lines and dots, particularly on the tail and wing feathers (I’ve no idea what the pattern should be called?) What would your advice be based on the birds I have? They are much loved pets.

Thank you Americanas4Real. It’s clearly a complex issue, and one that I am struggling to get a handle on.
I considered starting my flock with Wheaten Marans principally because I like the rooster colour. In that breed the rooster has a black breast which I assume are not sex feathers yet the female has a completely different coloured breast. I’m hoping that I can retain the “Duckwing” male line and at the same time the yellow-orange base colour on the hens along with the black lines and dots, particularly on the tail and wing feathers (I’ve no idea what the pattern should be called?) What would your advice be based on the birds I have? They are much loved pets.
Partridge males look a lot like duckwing males. The half partridge female color would be hard to keep though. I am not suggesting anything, but giving you more terminology. Sexual dimorphism is the term for the color of male and female duckwing or partridge chickens. As well as many other colors. Wheaten seems the most extreme to me. They breed (to a point) true, but the males have special male colors apart from sex feathers (black breast and tail, wings with black bay and gold) while the females have a lot of brown with a red breast, or double lacing, or with the wheaten, a lovely wheaten shade.

thanks
Partridge males look a lot like duckwing males. The half partridge female color would be hard to keep though. I am not suggesting anything, but giving you more terminology. Sexual dimorphism is the term for the color of male and female duckwing or partridge chickens. As well as many other colors. Wheaten seems the most extreme to me. They breed (to a point) true, but the males have special male colors apart from sex feathers (black breast and tail, wings with black bay and gold) while the females have a lot of brown with a red breast, or double lacing, or with the wheaten, a lovely wheaten shade.
Thanks again. What you are saying appears to accord with the Kippenjungle online genetics calculator.
As I understand it, the situation appears similar to the blue colour where two blues make only 50 percent blue offsprings with the rest black or splash.

My first chicks are now hatched. 13 eggs hatched out of 15. Not bad hatch rate I'm told! What a diverse bunch! Every chick is different. I have just the one rooster, the Mutt "Duckwing". My four mutt hens are related to each other. Three are a beautiful golden colour the other blue. All are fluffy bottomed and bunny tailed cuties
It is going to be interesting to see what these babies g
Doula and Christine.JPG
row up like. Any ideas? Even the legs are different, pink, yellow and dark. Two chicks have feathered legs. i think that there was some Cochin or Pekin in the hen's ancestry.
chicks in a row.JPG
chicks2.JPG
single chick 1.JPG
single chick 2.JPG
single chick 3.JPG

Thanks you to the people who provided advice on the genetic issues.
I got a few nice unexpected throwbacks and sports as well as what I predicted.
The first hatch is now almost four weeks old, and I'm very happy, though I'd probably get it wrong if I tried to predict the future adult colours and patterns at this stage.
In my ignorance, I totally misunderstood the term "Partridge". I assumed it meant camouflage patterned to blend into the ground (like a female partridge). I guess that Orange Partridge was never an accurate description of my aim. Swedish Flower hen or Tolbunt would have better described my breeding goal. I guess, next stage is to add sparkle from something like a speckled susssex.

4weeks4.JPG
4weeks8.JPG

4weeks1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom