Seeking to create a new line of Orange-Partridge Wyandottes

I've crossed my Orange-partridesque mutt-hen "Myra" with my mutt-wild-type gold laced Wyandotte X rooster "Barry" and hope to begin the process of breeding a new line of orange-partridge Wyandottes. I'm new to chook keeping, so can someone tell me if I'm making sense? My reasoning is that the rose-comb is dominant, the hen's shape is Wyandotte like. They both have yellow eyes, and yellow legs, and they both have the male and female partridge colours. so with a few generations of selections, and a bit of luck, I should get a pure strain of Orange-Partridge Wyandottes. Or am I missing something? Barry.JPG Mira.JPG

Those are both beautiful looking birds. But that’s not really what I’m hoping to achieve. My rooster represents what I’m looking for with all the archetypical wild type sex feathers. The hen is also close to what I’m looking for. I may not used the term partridge correctly if it implies double lacing in the hen, rather than a loose camouflage pattern. More than anything I’m hoping to keep the hens line a bright yellow orange with loose penciling.

I believe the OP is trying to recreate the Orange look of that wild type looking female, that is going to be hard because the effect can only be produced by one copy of Columbian(Co/co+) on a wild type background, two copies(Co/Co) will make the pullet buff columbian and the lack of the mutation(co+/co+) will turn the pullets to a natural salmon breast wildtype hens, it's that one shot of columbia that turns the hens rose/salmon breast into a uniform orange tone along with the hen's body

Crossing that wildtype looking rooster to that pullet should yield at least that 50% of the pullets look orange, the rest will look wildtype(if the rooster is e+, since eb can also be a possibility I can't say for sure)

My project is restricted to the fact that these birds are pets, and the future flock is largely limited to their descendants. I’ve tried using an on line genetic calculator, but found it difficult to classify the input data, and the description of the possible birds colouring that may be produced doesn’t tie in to the terminology used by bird breeders. The bottom line is, that I like the Jungle fowl look of the rooster but the hens look uninteresting. I also like the look of the brightly golden hens with a bit of black patterning, but the roosters look the same. It’s looking like I get interesting roosters or interesting hens, but not both. I’m talking like a total amateur but I hope that I’m making some kind of sense?

I guess that what I’m looking for could be thought of as “pet quality”. Though I wouldn’t use it as a negative term the way someone breeding to show standards probable would. I guess where I see things differently. I like the idea of every hen being different in detail, but within predictable boundaries.

Those are both beautiful looking birds. But that’s not really what I’m hoping to achieve. My rooster represents what I’m looking for with all the archetypical wild type sex feathers. The hen is also close to what I’m looking for. I may not used the term partridge correctly if it implies double lacing in the hen, rather than a loose camouflage pattern. More than anything I’m hoping to keep the hens line a bright yellow orange with loose penciling.

Partridge is a kind of double lacing with the partridge gene yes...
Just so you know and can reference it, the wildtype color is "duckwing" and the welsummer color is "red duckwing" the reason it has an orange red hackle and other orange red parts that would be gold on a regular wild type gold duckwing chicken, caused by the mahogany gene.

Back
Top Bottom